|Municipality and Town|
Zvornik (left) and Mali Zvornik (right)
Location of the municipality of Mali Zvornik within Serbia
|• Mayor||Zoran Jevtic|
|• Municipality||184 km2 (71 sq mi)|
|Population (2011 census)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|Area code||+381 15|
Mali Zvornik (Serbian Cyrillic: Мали Зворник, pronounced [mâːliː zʋɔ̌rniːk]) is a town and municipality located in the Mačva District of Serbia. In 2011, the population of the town is 4,132, while the population of the municipality is 11,987. It lays opposite of the Drina river from the town of Zvornik, in Bosnia and Herzegovina.
|This section does not cite any sources. (December 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
There are traces of human life from Bronze Age in this area, as well as traces from the time of Roman Empire. Ancient Roman settlement Ad Drinum existed somewhere at this location. In the Middle Ages, middle Podrinje (that include Mali Zvornik) was one of the main mining centres of the Serbian state.
On Orlovine Hill near Mali Zvornik there are remains of the large Medieval fortress that was probably built in the first half of the 15th century, in the time of the Serbian Despotate. During the Ottoman rule, this area was part of the Pashaluk of Bosnia.
Until 1878 it was the only Bosnian municipality on the right side of river Drina, when it eventually became part of the independent Kingdom of Serbia. In the end of 19th and beginning of the 20th century, population of Mali Zvornik numbered 115 houses. The municipality of Mali Zvornik was officially established in 1955.
Aside from the town of Mali Zvornik, the municipality includes the following settlements:
Demographics (2002 census)
|This article needs to be updated. (November 2011)|
Ethnic groups in the municipality
Ethnic groups in the Mali Zvornik municipality include:
Ethnic groups in the town
Ethnic groups in the Mali Zvornik town include:
- Časlav Klonimirović, Prince of the Serbs from c. 927 until his death in c. 960.
- Avdo Karabegović ,(1878-1908) Serbian poet
- Dušan Proroković ,politician,former member of Serbian parliament
- Milinko Pantić ,football player and coach
- Miloš Vasić ,rower, member of Serbian Olympics team on summer Olympics in London 2012 and Rio de Janeiro 2016
- Oliver Stević ,basketball player
- Đorđe Despotović ,football player
- Nemanja Stevanović ,football player
- Edin Rustemović ,football player
- Slaviša Radović ,football player
- Miroslav Milutinović ,football player
- "Municipalities of Serbia, 2006". Statistical Office of Serbia. Retrieved 2010-11-28.
- "2011 Census of Population, Households and Dwellings in the Republic of Serbia: Comparative Overview of the Number of Population in 1948, 1953, 1961, 1971, 1981, 1991, 2002 and 2011, Data by settlements" (PDF). Statistical Office of Republic Of Serbia, Belgrade. 2014. ISBN 978-86-6161-109-4. Retrieved 2014-06-27.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Mali Zvornik.|