Malibu Hindu Temple
|Malibu Hindu Temple|
|Location||1600 Las Virgenes Canyon Road, Calabasas, California|
|Country||United States of America|
Vasan Srinivasan (Founding President)Nadadur Vardhan (Past President)
Malibu Hindu Temple, a temple of the Hindu god Venkateswara, built in 1981, is located in the city of Calabasas near Malibu, California, in the Santa Monica Mountains. It is owned and operated by the Hindu Temple Society of Southern California. Built in the traditional South Indian style, it is frequented by followers of Hinduism in Southern California. It is one of the largest Hindu temples in the Western hemisphere.
The priests are situated and live on the grounds of the temple. The temple has many gatherings for ceremonies and provides numerous spaces for meditation and picnicking. It has a full stage for special cultural and Hindu programs.
The founding president of the Temple was Vasan Srinivasan, a civil engineer living in the Los Angeles area. Srinivasan was instrumental in raising funds from local families, overseeing construction and bringing the priests from India.  Later, and until his death in July 2017, Indian American tax consultant Nadadur Vardhan served as the temple's president. The temple is generally managed by Hindu Temple society of Southern California.
The Hindu temple has two complexes – the upper complex with Lord Venkateswara as the presiding deity and the lower complex with Lord Shiva as the presiding deity. In addition to the presiding deity, both complexes have shrines for other deities.
In popular culture
In 1997, the temple was used in a small scene in the movie Beverly Hills Ninja starring Chris Farley, and in 1998 in a song in the Tamil film Jeans. In January 2006, the pop-star singer Britney Spears had her 4-month-old son blessed in a large ceremony by the Hindu priests of this temple. The event had worldwide coverage in the media.
- Day, Mona (July 29, 2016). "Three-Day Bhagwat Katha Held at Malibu Temple". India West. Retrieved 31 July 2016.
- HOLLEY, DAVID (1985-10-27). "Legacy of Peace : Devotees Enact Rich Ritual at Festival as Work Progresses at Nation's Largest Hindu Temple". Los Angeles Times. ISSN 0458-3035. Retrieved 2018-01-15.
- "Nadadur Vardhan, President of Malibu Hindu Temple, Passes Away Following Brief Illness". India-West. 2017-07-06. Retrieved 2017-07-08.
- "Malibu Hindu Temple Celebrates 32nd Anniversary". India-West. 2016-05-19. Retrieved 2017-07-08.
- Garcia, Kenneth J. (March 25, 1988). "Sight to Behold : Ornate Hindu Temple in Malibu Is Shrine Where East Meets West". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 12 July 2016.
- "Oops, Spears switched religions again". MSNBC. 18 January 2006.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Malibu Hindu Temple.|