|Airport type||Public, Civilian|
|Operator||Kenya Airports Authority|
|Elevation AMSL||80 ft / 24 m|
It is located west of the central business district of the town of Malindi, in Kilifi County, in southeastern Kenya, at the Indian Ocean coast. This is about 132 kilometres (82 mi), by road and about 104.5 kilometres (65 mi), by air, northeast of Moi International Airport, the nearest international airport. It is approximately 485 kilometres (301 mi), by road and approximately 411 kilometres (255 mi), by air, southeast of Jomo Kenyatta International Airport, the largest airport in Kenya. The coordinates of Malindi Airport are 03°12'54.0"S, 40°06'00.0"E (Latitude:-3.2150; Longitude:40.1000).
The airport is a medium-sized airport that serves the town of Malindi and is situated at an average elevation of 80 feet (24 m) above sea level. The airport has two bitumen runways: Runway 17/35 measures 4,600 feet (1,400 m) long and is 98 feet (30 m) wide, and Runway 8/26 measures 3,549 feet (1,082 m) and is 76 feet (23 m) wide. The Kenyan government funded the updating and expansion of Malindi Airport terminal building, construction of a new control tower and rehabilitation of the runways. The upgrades were carried out by Dickways Construction, between 2011 and 2012 and cost KES:200 million (approx. USD2 million).
The Kenyan government seeks to expand Malindi Airport in order to attract direct international flights. Plans are underway to extend Runway 17/35 to a length of 2,500 metres (8,202 ft). In 2016 work began to enlarge the apron to accommodate more aircraft, build a 7.5 kilometres (5 mi) perimeter fence and construct a parking facility that accommodates 500 vehicles. That phase is expected to conclude in December 2016. The work has been delayed by some individuals and groups demanding compensation for land required for the expansion. In January 2018, the National Land Commission of Kenya, earmarked KSh424 million (approximately US$4.24 million) to compensate 175 landowners for 25 hectares (62 acres) of land and pave way for airport expansion.
Airlines and destinations
|Airkenya Express||Lamu, Nairobi–Wilson|
|Fly 540||Lamu, Nairobi–Jomo Kenyatta|
|Kenya Airways||Nairobi–Jomo Kenyatta|
|Mombasa Air Safari||Lamu, Mombasa|
- Atieno, Winnie (15 January 2018). "State to pay landowners Sh424 million for Malindi Airport land". Business Daily Africa. Nairobi. Retrieved 18 January 2018.
- Google (22 September 2016). "Location of Malindi Airport, Kilifi County, Kenya" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved 22 September 2016.
- Globefeed.com (22 September 2016). "Distance between Moi International Airport, Mombasa, Mombasa County, Kenya and Malindi Airport, Malindi, Kenya". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 22 September 2016. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Globefeed.com (22 September 2016). "Distance between Jomo Kenyatta International Airport, Nairobi, Kenya and Malindi Airport, Malindi, Kenya". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 22 September 2016. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Great Circle Mapper (22 September 2016). "Details About Malindi Airport". Gcmap.com (Great Circle Mapper). Retrieved 22 September 2016. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- ALC (22 September 2016). "Dimensions of Runway 8/26 At Malindi Airport". Al-Nasir.com (ALC). Retrieved 22 September 2016. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Ndaiga, Hellen (5 July 2012). "New Malindi Terminal Building Complete". Nairobi. Retrieved 22 September 2016. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Ringa, Mathias (6 September 2016). "Sh5.6 billion Malindi airport expansion to begin next financial year". Daily Nation. Nairobi. Retrieved 22 September 2016. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Lwanga, Charles (17 June 2017). "300 families move to withdraw from Malindi Airport land eviction case". Business Daily Africa. Nairobi. Retrieved 17 June 2017. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Malindi International Airport.|
- Location of Malindi Airport At Google Maps
- Website of Kenya Airports Authority
- Airport information for HKML at Great Circle Mapper.