This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
This article may contain an excessive amount of intricate detail that may interest only a particular audience.June 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)(
Mallika Barkur Dua
Dua in August 2019
Barkur, Udupi, Karnataka
|Education||Panchkula School of Business, Pulp and Paper|
|Alma mater||Franklin and Marshall College|
Mallika Dua is an Indian actress, comedian and writer. She is known for her on-point comic timing, and for the quintessential Delhi-based character, Makeup Didi. The actress shot to fame with the viral video of Shit People Say: Sarojini Nagar Edition, which was written, styled and enacted by Dua herself. She is the daughter of Indian journalist Vinod Dua.
Mallika was schooled at the Modern School, Barakhamba Road, New Delhi. Mallika is half-Derawali Punjabi and half-Tamil Brahmin. The inspiration for her short videos on social media are from Delhi and its Punjabis. Mallika is also a theater major from Franklin and Marshall College in the US. Her advertising career started as a trainee at McCain Erickson and later at Contract Advertising.
From August 2016, she moved to Mumbai formally to be a full-time entertainer. She launched her own YouTube channel in 2017 and had been frequently collaborating with All India Bakchod before the channel got itself in trouble around October 2018 in the Indian #MeToo allegations . Mallika has appeared in the first episode of Girliyapa, Why Should Hot Girls Have All the Fun? and in the Bindass web series The Trip. She also made a special appearance in Saket Chaudhary's Hindi Medium sharing screen space with Irrfan Khan in 2017. She played a true blue Punjabi girl in the film quite similar to her real life personality. In September 2017, she appeared as one of the three mentors along with Zakir Khan and Hussain Dalal for the fifth season of The Great Indian Laughter Challenge which is judged by the actor Akshay Kumar. In 2018, she appeared in Namaste England as Harpreet. She is also seen in Trip 2 web series as Nazia. She also appeared in Zero alongside Shah Rukh Khan in the same year.
Mallika's videos are satirical in nature depicting the harsh reality of the society with a dash of humour. She strongly believes in the cause of Feminism and uses her social networking platforms as a tool for women's empowerment and for also expressing her liberal ideologies and open-minded opinions on social causes and issues concerning women. Mallika has actively voiced her opinion against sexual harassment of women at workplace, casual sexism among others. She was also one of the pioneers of the social media movement Me Too (Hashtag) where she was one of the first known faces to recount her own experience of being sexually harassed as a child to encourage her fan following (both men and women) to share their experiences as well and to stand up for the cause. She has also defied gender stereotypes through her videos and hashtag activism slamming body-shaming, fat-shaming carving a niche for herself in the industry inspiring the youth.[original research?]
|2019||Myntra Fashion Superstar||Judge||Myntra|||
- alittleanarky (2016-01-06), Shit People Say: Sarojini Nagar Edition, retrieved 2017-11-12
- "Mallika Dua Is Making The World A Funnier Place, One Dubsmash At A Time". Huffington Post India. Retrieved 2016-12-08.
- Khurana, Natasha. "After slaying Delhi stereotypes, internet star Mallika Dua steps out of her comfort zone". Scroll.in. Retrieved 2016-12-08.
- Girliyapa (2016-03-18), Girliyapa Ep. 1 | Why Should Hot Girls Have All The Fun?, retrieved 2017-11-12
- "Lisa Haydon & Mallika Dua are all set to take you through Thailand in this new web series". Retrieved 2016-12-08.
- Khandelwal, Mansi (2017-01-23). "In A Chat With JWB, Mallika Dua Shuts The Body-Shaming Mouth Of Suhel Seth At JLF". Indian Women Blog - Stories of Indian Women. Retrieved 2017-11-12.
- "Mallika Dua Says She Doesn't Pay Attention To Body Shamers". BuzzFeed. Retrieved 2017-11-12.
- "Myntra Fashion Superstar: Top looks from the 3 judges that we are crushing on". www.timesnownews.com. Retrieved 2019-10-23.