|• Mayor||Katrin Stjernfeldt Jammeh (S)|
|• Total||332.64 km2 (128.43 sq mi)|
|• Land||156.87 km2 (60.57 sq mi)|
|• Water||175.77 km2 (67.87 sq mi)|
|Area as of January 1, 2014.|
|Population (December 31, 2016)|
|• Density||990/km2 (2,600/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|ISO 3166 code||SE|
When the first Swedish local government acts were implemented in 1863, the Old City of Malmö was made one of the country's 88 city municipalities and the first city council was elected. The municipal territory has been augmented through mergers in 1911, 1915, 1931, 1935, 1952, 1967 and finally in 1971.
In 1971, the city was also converted into a municipality of unitary type, like all others in Sweden. Malmö Municipality, however, styles itself Malmö stad (City of Malmö) in all cases when it is legally possible. This is a decision taken by the municipal assembly. It is purely nominal and has no effect on the legal status of the municipality.
The localities are listed in the table according to the size of the population in 2010. The municipal seat is in bold characters.
After a reform on 1 July 2013, Malmö Municipality is divided into five city districts (Swedish: stadsområde). They manage public kindergartens, schools, and geriatric care within their geographical areas, and provide funds for local cultural and recreational activities.
There are 136 neighbourhoods.
|Inhabitants as of 1 January 2013|
The municipal legislative body of the municipality is the 61-member municipal assembly (kommunfullmäktige), elected by proportional representation for a four-year term. The assembly appoints the municipality's main governing bodies, the 11-member executive committee (kommunstyrelsen) and the 8 governing commissioners. The executive committee and the commissioners are headed by a municipal commissioner (kommunstyrelsens ordförande) or "mayor". The mayor is Katrin Stjernfeldt Jammeh of the Social Democratic Party.
There are seven political parties represented in the council elected in 2014: Social Democratic Party (21 seats), Moderate Party (14), Sweden Democrats (9), Green Party (6), Left Party (6), Liberal People's Party (3) and Feminist Initiative (2).
Twin towns — Sister cities
As of 2011[update], Malmö has town twinning treaties or treaties of co-operation signed with 13 cities. Of these, cooperation is closest with Newcastle, Tallinn, the province of Chieti and with Vaasa.
The complete list of cities is the following:
- "Statistiska centralbyrån, Kommunarealer den 1 januari 2014" (Microsoft Excel) (in Swedish). Statistics Sweden. Retrieved 2014-04-18.
- "Folkmängd i riket, län och kommuner 31 december 2016" (in Swedish). Statistics Sweden. February 21, 2017. Retrieved February 21, 2017.
- "Folkmängd per tätort och småort 2010, per kommun". Statistics Sweden (in Swedish). 26 June 2013. Retrieved 20 January 2014.
- "Småorter 2010 (Smaller localities 2010)" (PDF). Statistics Sweden (in Swedish). 2010. Retrieved 20 January 2014.
- "Nystart för ett bättre Malmö". Malmö Municipality (in Swedish). 27 June 2013. Retrieved 17 January 2014.
- "Malmös karta har ritats om". Sydsvenskan (in Swedish). 1 July 2013. Retrieved 17 January 2014.
- "Befolkning per stadsområde, stadsdel, delområde 2007-2014". Malmö Municipality (in Swedish). 13 April 2015.
- "Malmö in brief" (PDF). Malmö Municipality. December 2013. Retrieved 17 January 2014.
- "Befolkningsbokslut Malmö 2012" (PDF). Malmö Municipality (in Swedish). 17 June 2013. Retrieved 19 January 2014.
- "Blad1 (Areal)". Malmö Municipality (in Swedish). Retrieved 19 January 2014.
- Source: Malmö City Council
- "Valresultat - Malmö, Kommunval" (in Swedish). SVT. 22 September 2014.
- "Vänorter" (in Swedish). Malmö stad. Retrieved 6 November 2013.
- "MALMÖ/ İSVEÇ" (PDF).
- "Kaliningrad - Partner Cities". City of Kaliningrad. Retrieved 6 November 2013.
- "SISTER CITIES & TOWNS" (PDF). Newsletter of the Municipality of Swakopmund. Retrieved 2011-09-01.
- "Kontakty partnerskie Miasta Szczecin". Urząd Miasta Szczecin (in Polish). Archived from the original on 2012-08-18. Retrieved 2013-07-29.