Malmo Plains, Edmonton
|• Administrative body||Edmonton City Council|
|• Councillor||Don Iveson|
|• Total||0.94 km2 (0.36 sq mi)|
|Elevation||671 m (2,201 ft)|
|• Density||3,516/km2 (9,110/sq mi)|
|• Change (2009–12)||1.7%|
Malmo Plains is a residential neighbourhood in south west Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. The University of Alberta family residences, called Michener Park, comprise the west end of the neighbourhood. The neighbourhood is named for a type of soil, malmo silty clay loam, common in the area.
The community is represented by the Malmo Plains Community League, established in 1965, which maintains a community hall, outdoor rink and beach volleyball courts located at 115 Street and 48 Avenue.
In the City of Edmonton's 2012 municipal census, Malmo Plains had a population of  a 1.7% change from its 2009 population of 3,251. With a land area of 0.94 km2 (0.36 sq mi), it had a population density of 3,516 people/km2 in 2012.3,305 living in 1,305 dwellings,
Most of the residential construction in the neighbourhood occurred during the 1960s, when almost three out of every four residences (72.7%) were constructed. The most common type of residence in the neighbourhood is the single-family dwelling, which account for one out of every two residences (51%). The remaining residences are split almost equally between apartments (26%) and row houses (23%). Most of the single-family dwellings are owner-occupied, while most of the apartments are rented. Michener Park accounts for a significant proportion of the apartments, and are only available as residences to families where one or more of the adults in the family are students at the University of Alberta.
Shopping and services
In addition to a pair of small strip shopping centres located in adjacent neighbourhoods, residents have access to Southgate Centre, one of Edmonton's major shopping malls.
There is one school in the neighbourhood: Malmo Plains Elementary School operated by the Edmonton Public School System.
- "City of Edmonton Wards & Standard Neighbourhoods" (PDF). City of Edmonton. Archived from the original (PDF) on May 3, 2014. Retrieved February 13, 2013.
- "Edmonton Developing and Planned Neighbourhoods, 2011" (PDF). City of Edmonton. Archived from the original (PDF) on September 4, 2013. Retrieved February 13, 2013.
- "City Councillors". City of Edmonton. Retrieved February 13, 2013.
- "Neighbourhoods (data plus kml file)". City of Edmonton. Retrieved February 13, 2013.
- "Municipal Census Results – Edmonton 2012 Census". City of Edmonton. Retrieved February 22, 2013.
- City of Edmonton - Maps
- "Hall Rental". Malmo Plains Community League. Retrieved October 7, 2017.
- Kuban, Ron (2005). Edmonton's Urban Villages: The Community League Movement. University of Alberta Press. ISBN 9781459303249.
- "2009 Municipal Census Results". City of Edmonton. Retrieved February 22, 2013.