Malmo Township, Aitkin County, Minnesota
|Malmo Township, Minnesota|
West view Stapleton Lake
|• Total||35.7 sq mi (92.5 km2)|
|• Land||33.0 sq mi (85.4 km2)|
|• Water||2.7 sq mi (7.1 km2)|
|Elevation||1,283 ft (391 m)|
|• Density||10/sq mi (3.9/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||0664880|
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 35.7 square miles (92.5 km2), of which 33.0 square miles (85.4 km2) is land and 2.7 square miles (7.1 km2), or 7.68%, is water.
- Deer Lake
- Mille Lacs Lake (east edge)
- Sugar Lake (south three-quarters)
- Stapleton Lake (classified as a pond)
- Twenty Lake is located 1.5 miles North of Malmo on MN Hwy. 47, then 1.75 miles West and North on Twenty Lake Road.
- Glen Township (north)
- Lee Township (northeast)
- Seavey Township (southeast)
- Lakeside Township (south)
- Wealthwood Township (west)
- Nordland Township (northwest)
The township contains Malmo Cemetery.
As of the census of 2000, there were 332 people, 153 households, and 104 families residing in the township. The population density was 10.1 people per square mile (3.9/km²). There were 345 housing units at an average density of 10.5/sq mi (4.0/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 96.39% White, 2.71% Native American, and 0.90% from two or more races.
There were 153 households out of which 17.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 60.8% were married couples living together, 4.6% had a female householder with no husband present, and 32.0% were non-families. 28.8% of all households were made up of individuals and 8.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.17 and the average family size was 2.59.
In the township the population was spread out with 18.1% under the age of 18, 6.6% from 18 to 24, 21.1% from 25 to 44, 27.1% from 45 to 64, and 27.1% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 50 years. For every 100 females there were 112.8 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 110.9 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $31,161, and the median income for a family was $39,464. Males had a median income of $25,000 versus $21,250 for females. The per capita income for the township was $16,737. About 5.3% of families and 9.2% of the population were below the poverty line, including 15.6% of those under age 18 and 3.1% of those age 65 or over.
- United States National Atlas
- United States Census Bureau 2007 TIGER/Line Shapefiles
- United States Board on Geographic Names (GNIS)
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Malmo township, Aitkin County, Minnesota". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved June 14, 2013.
- Upham, Warren (2001). Minnesota Place Names: A Geographical Encyclopedia. Minnesota Historical Society Press. p. 17.
- "Minnesota National Register Properties Database". Minnesota Historical Society. 2009. Retrieved 2017-01-29.