Malnad College of Engineering
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Main block at twilight
|Motto||'Nahi Jnanena Sadrusham'|
|Type||Government Aided Engineering College|
|Chairman||Sri. Ashok Harnahalli|
|Principal||Dr. K. S. Jayantha|
|Location||Hassan, Karnataka, India
Malnad College of Engineering (MCE) is an engineering college located in Hassan, Karnataka, India. It was established in 1960, during the second 5 year plan of India, as a joint venture between the Government of India, Government of Karnataka and the Malnad Technical Education Society, Hassan. The institution is affiliated with the Visvesvaraya Technological University in Belgaum.
The college is built on a campus of about 44 acres (180,000 m2) and is a technical education center. The college has got the ISTE Award as one of the best engineering colleges in the country, in 2007.
The Kannada movie, Kirik Party, was shot in this campus
The Late Honorable Shree Chandappa Patil, Indian administrative Service (IAS). was the brain behind the evolution of Malnad Engineering College, Hassan. He was the Hassan District Commissioner then.The Coffee Planters around and other local farmers and many others contributed financially to make this college a reality. Mr Chandappa Patil, was a gentleman of humble origins. He was the first graduate from his village and had a vision to bring education to the masses in Karnataka, however remote the place was. This was his first venture. He worked very closely with the Late and Ex Vice President of India, Mr Jatti to open more educational institutions.
Motto: Nahi Jnanena Sadrusham (Meaning: Nothing is equal to Knowledge)
Chairman: Sri. Ashok Harnahalli
Principal: Dr. K.S.Jayanth.
College Magazine: Prakamya (Biennial)
The college has a library with 80,000 volumes. An issue section and a reference section form the main components of the library. The library subscribes to national and international journals in print and on-line versions. All engineering departments have their own libraries. The library has a computer centre to provide access to the internet and online journals.
The college has a boys' hostel on the campus that accommodates 750 students. A girl's hostel located very close to the campus accommodates 220 students.
The facilities in the campus include a Syndicate Bank branch, a post office, wi-fi facility to hostels, a cooperative society, a canteen, a gymnasium and swimming pool.
Academic units and programs
MCE offers undergraduate Bachelor of Engineering (B.E) programmes in nine disciplines, namely:
- B.E in Automobile Engineering
- B.E in Civil Engineering
- B.E in Computer Science and Engineering
- B.E in Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- B.E in Electronics and Communication Engineering
- B.E in Industrial and Production Engineering
- B.E in Instrumentation Technology
- B.E in Information Science and Engineering
- B.E in Mechanical Engineering
There are postgraduate courses in six disciplines, namely:
- M.Tech in Digital Electronics and Communication Systems (DECS)
- M.Tech in Computer Applications in Industrial Drives (CAID)
- M.Tech in Computer Aided Design of Structures (CADS)
- M.Tech in Electrical Energy Systems (EES)
- M.Tech in Industrial Automation and Robotics (IAR) and
- MCA (Master of Computer Applications)
- M.Tech in Industrial Production
- The Malnad Technical Club
- Science Association
- Society of Automotive Engineers India - MCE chapter
- The Literary Club
- Leo Club
- MCE Cultural Club (Abhivyakthi)
- SPICMACAY - MCE chapter
- Malnad Eco CLub
- Rotaract Club
- Foundations - A district level technofun festival organised by The Malnad Technical Club during odd semester.
- Jamboree - A cultural fest organized by the Leo Club during the odd semester.
- Saviskaar - A cultural fest organized by The Malnad Technical club during odd semester for first year students.
- Malnad - Annual college fest organized by the Literary Club during the even semester.
- Enigma - A state level technical fest by The Malnad Technical Club during the even semester. www.malnadtechnicalclub.org
- Eternity - Conducted by Malnad Eco club during the even semester.
- Scientia - A Science fest organised by The Science Association during even semester.
- Manu Saale, 1991, Managing Director & CEO at Mercedes-Benz Research & Development India
- Charan Raj, 2005, Music Director and Composer
- Giri Devanur, 1991, Entrepreneur & CEO at Ameri100
- Javagal Srinath, Former Indian Cricketer
- Sudhir Shivaram, 1993, Indian wildlife photographer and entrepreneur
- Dr.Udaya Parampalli, 1985, Associate Professor, University of Melbourne, Australia
- C.Balasubramanya, 1971, International Professional trainer smart grids & smart meters.
- R.H. Muralidhara, 1983, Mechanical Director of Defence BEML
- Dr. Karisiddappa, 1982, Civil Engineering, Vice Chancellor, Visvesvaraya Technological University, Belgaum
- "Home". Mcehassan.ac.in. Retrieved 2017-04-26.
- "Harnahalli Ramaswamy dead, News - City - Bangalore Mirror, Bangalore Mirror". Bangaloremirror.com. 2009-04-04. Retrieved 2011-11-01.
- [dead link]
- "Smart Grids Applications -Lecture At Malnad College Of Engineering Hassan Ove". Plus.google.com. 2015-11-15. Retrieved 2017-04-26.