|From||Magħtab, Naxxar in Malta|
|Passes through||Malta Channel|
|To||Ragusa in Sicily, Italy|
|Manufacturer of conductor/cable||Nexans|
|Cable layer||C/S Nexans Skagerrak|
|Type of current||HVAC|
|Total length||120 km (75 mi)|
|Power rating||200 MW|
|AC Voltage||220 kV|
The 95-kilometre (59 mi) long subsea cable starts at Magħtab, Qalet Marku in Malta and it runs to Marina di Ragusa in Sicily, Italy.  From there it is connected to the Ragusa substation, which is of the Italian TSO Terna, via a 25 kilometres (16 mi) underground cable.
The cable and 132/220 kV substation in Malta is provided by Nexans. The cable has capacity of 200 MW and it uses 220 kV high voltage alternating current. The interconnector is operated by Enemalta, the Maltese power company. In the 2014 the cable was laid in the sea by the ship C/S Nexans Skagerrak of the Company Nexans. The interconector became operational in March 2015. The project cost €182 million.
The cable allows Malta to exchange electricity with the Italian power market, i.e. the island can both import and export electricity from Italy through the interconnector. The creation of this subsea cable ended Malta's previous electricity's isolation and diversified its mix of energy sources. In February 2015, European Commission underlined that Malta's interconnection level would go from 0% to approximately 35% with the new interconnector.
|Substation of Ragusa|
|Italian submarinecable terminal, Marina di Ragusa|
|Maltese submarinecable terminal, Qalet Marku|
|Substation in Magħtab (in project)|
- Sansone, Kurt (2010-12-15). "Malta signs €182 million interconnector contract". Times of Malta. Retrieved 2012-02-12.
- "Nexans wins contract for the Malta to Sicily power-interconnector project" (Press release). Nexans. 2010-12-15. Retrieved 2012-02-12.
- Micallef, Mark (2011-11-20). "Power setback as energy link to Sicily is delayed". Times of Malta. Retrieved 2012-02-12.
- Debono, James (2009-11-22). "Sicily cable 'essential' to close down Marsa power station". Malta Today. Retrieved 2012-02-12.
- "Nexans Norway to lay Malta-Sicily undersea power cable". Reuters. 2010-12-14. Retrieved 2012-02-12.
- COMMUNICATION FROM THE COMMISSION TO THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND THE COUNCIL - Achieving the 10% electricity interconnection target - Making Europe's electricity grid fit for 2020. Brussels, 25.2.2015 COM(2015) 82 final