Malta Township, Morgan County, Ohio
|Malta Township, Morgan County, Ohio|
Fields on Big Oak Road
Location of Malta Township in Morgan County
|• Total||26.2 sq mi (67.9 km2)|
|• Land||25.9 sq mi (67.2 km2)|
|• Water||0.3 sq mi (0.7 km2)|
|Elevation||778 ft (237 m)|
|• Density||75.7/sq mi (29.2/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086688|
Malta Township is one of the fourteen townships of Morgan County, Ohio, United States. The 2000 census found 1,964 people in the township, 1,268 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located in the central part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Bloom Township - north
- Morgan Township - east
- Windsor Township - southeast
- Penn Township - south
- Union Township - southwest
- Deerfield Township - west
Name and history
It is the only Malta Township statewide.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
As of 2007, the trustees are Curt Best, Rex Copeland, and Bill Greuey, and the clerk is Barbara Greury.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Morgan County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.
- Malta Twp., Morgan County. Accessed 2007-07-02.