|This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2007)|
Maltesers are a confectionery product manufactured by Mars, Incorporated. Maltesers consist of a roughly spherical malt honeycomb-like structured centre, surrounded by milk chocolate. Maltesers are sold in a variety of packaging, including plastic bags (ranging in size from small 'fun-size' upwards), larger cardboard boxes and tubes, and plastic buckets (ranging in size from medium to very large). They also have medium sized "teasers" in Celebrations boxes. Maltesers are also one of the types of sweet included in Mars's Revels assortment.
The current Maltesers' slogan is "The lighter way to enjoy chocolate" - earlier slogans have included "The chocolates with the less fattening centre", "No ordinary chocolate" and "Nothing pleases like Maltesers". The Australian version also contains the line: "Made in Australia... ...exported to the world." In the 1930s, advertisements claimed that the Maltesers honeycomb centre is seven times less fattening than ordinary chocolate centres; this led marketers to claim it was beneficial for weight loss.
In 2011, the product gained Fairtrade accreditation in the UK and Ireland by sourcing all their cocoa and sugar under Fairtrade Terms.
In the UK and Ireland, the ingredients are: Sugar, Skimmed Milk Powder, Cocoa Butter, Glucose Syrup, Barley Malt Extract, Cocoa Mass, Palm Fat, Lactose, Demineralised Whey Powder, Milk Fat, Wheat Flour, Emulsifiers (E442, Soya Lecithin, E492), Palm Oil, Raising Agents (E500, E501, E341), Salt, Gelling Agent (Pectin), Flavouring.
In Canada, the ingredients are: Sugar, Modified Milk Ingredients, Malted Milk Powder (Malted Barley, Corn Syrup, Modified Milk Ingredients, Wheat Flour, Modified and Hydrogenated Palm Oil, Sugar, Wheat Gluten, Sodium Bicarbonate, Potassium Bicarbonate, Salt), Cocoa Butter, Cocoa Mass, Corn Syrup, Palm and Palm Kernel Oil, Lactose, Malted Barley Extract, Soy Lecithin, Ammonium Salt of Phosphorylated Glyceride, Pectin, Sorbitan Tristearate, Artificial Flavour.
In Australia and New Zealand, the ingredients are: Sugar, Milk Solids, Cocoa Butter, Glucose Syrup (Sources include Wheat), Barley Malt Extract, Cocoa Mass, Vegetable Fat, Emulsifiers (Soy Lecithin, 492), Wheat Gluten, Raising Agents (501, 500), Salt, Natural Flavour (Vanilla Extract), Pectin.
- Whoppers, chocolate-flavour coated malted milk balls produced by The Hershey Company in the United States.
- "Mighty Malts", malted milk balls manufactured by Necco.
- "White Maltesers" Maltesers made with a white chocolate coating.
- "Mylikes" Chinese sweets made by Liang Feng Food Company which started making chocolates in 1982.
- Ovalteenies, circular discs of compressed Ovaltine, malted milk and chocolate.
- "Whispers"' malted milk chocolate balls manufactured by Cadbury.
- 'MaltEaster bunnies' (a bunny made out of Malteser) are available over the Easter period each year and have been since Easter 2010. Mini versions were also available in 2015.
- 'Maltesers Teaser'. Miniature balls of chocolate coated honeycomb, in a bar format. Available since March 26, 2013.
- 'Maltesers Teasers chocolate spread.
- Damian Corless, You'll Ruin Your Dinner: Sweet Memories from Irish Childhood, Publisher Hachette UK, 2011, ISBN 1444726048, 9781444726046, 256 pages, 
- "TV advertising – Maltesers Facts". Retrieved June 7, 2015.
- "Mars and Fairtrade International announce collaboration". Mars.com. September 2011. Retrieved February 8, 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Maltesers.|