|• Total||4,312.49 km2 (1,665.06 sq mi)|
|• Land||4,085.06 km2 (1,577.25 sq mi)|
|• Water||227.43 km2 (87.81 sq mi)|
|Area as of 1 January 2014.|
(31 December 2018)
|• Density||2.3/km2 (6.1/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
|ISO 3166 code||SE|
|Density is calculated using land area only.|
Malung Municipality was created in 1971 by the amalgamation of "old" Malung with the adjacent entities Lima and Transtrand. In 2007 the Government of Sweden  decided to approve the present name, which took effect on January 1, 2008. The reason for the double name, the only of its kind in Sweden, is to promote the skiing resort area Sälen in the northern part of the municipality.
The terrain in the area is largely submontane, with plenty of bog and forest. The Transtrandsfjällen in the north are the southernmost mountains in Sweden, marking the start of the Scandinavian mountain range. Rocks are mostly metamorphic and sedimentary, with occurrences of basalt. Most settlements are located in and around the valley of Västerdalälven river.
The municipal population was around 13,000 in the 1960s, but has decreased continually since then.
The villages in the municipality, with population figures from 2005 , are:
- Lima (418)
- Limedsforsen (443)
- Malung (seat) (5,146)
- Malungsfors (559)
- Sälen (508) - Is a nationally renowned skiing resort.
- Transtrand (373)
- Yttermalung (216)
- Öje (202) (population figure from 2000)
- Malung-Sälen Municipality – Official site
- Jonell-Ericsson, Britta (1987), Skinnare i Malung
- Hotell & Konferens Skinnargården in the centre of Malung
- "Statistiska centralbyrån, Kommunarealer den 1 januari 2014" (Microsoft Excel) (in Swedish). Statistics Sweden. Retrieved 2014-04-18.
- "Folkmängd i riket, län och kommuner 31 december 2018" (in Swedish). Statistics Sweden. February 21, 2019. Retrieved February 23, 2019.
- Government Press Release (Swedish), 1 March 2007 Archived 29 September 2007 at the Wayback Machine
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Malung-Sälen Municipality.|