Malvern Hills Conservators
|The Malvern Hills|
|Mission||The care and management of the Malvern Hills and Commons.|
The Malvern Hills Conservators are a body corporate responsible for the care and management of the Malvern Hills and Commons. They were established in 1884 and are governed by five Acts of Parliament, the Malvern Hills Acts 1884, 1909, 1924, 1930 and 1995. They became a registered charity in 1984 and since April 2017 use the "working name" of the Malvern Hills Trust.
Eleven members are directly elected under the 'Local Elections (Principal Areas) Rules' by the residents of the civil parishes who contribute to the Conservators' funds through a levy in their council tax (similar to the precept raised for parish councils). The town of Malvern and the parish of West Malvern together return six members (one elected by each of the six district wards constituted), the parishes of Malvern Wells and Little Malvern together elect one member (they constitute one district ward), the parish of Colwall elects two members, and the parishes of Mathon and Guarlford each elect one member.
Further, twelve members are appointed by the local authorities that cover the Malvern Hills (eight by Malvern Hills District Council, two by Herefordshire Council and two by Worcestershire County Council), the parish councils of Colwall and Mathon each appoint a member, Worcestershire County Council appoint further members on behalf of parishes (one each for Powick, Newland and Castlemorton) and one member is appointed by the Church Commissioners.
Under Acts of Parliament the Malvern Hills Conservators have the following statutory duties placed upon them:
- To prevent encroachment
- To keep the Hills and Commons as open space for recreation
- To conserve the Hills and Commons
- To protect the rights of commoners to graze their livestock on the land.
The formal Partnership for the Malvern Hills Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB) is a separate organisation, though does include the Conservators and is also based at Manor House in Great Malvern.
- "Malvern Hills Conservators". Worcestershire County Council. Retrieved 30 January 2011.
- Smart, Mike (2009). Malvern Hills. Frances Lincoln Ltd. ISBN 0-7112-2915-5.
- "Acts of Parliament". Malvern Hills Conservators. Retrieved 30 January 2011.
- Charity Commission. Malvern Hills Conservators, registered charity no. 515804.
- "Malvern Hills Conservators Trustees' Annual Report and Accounts For the Year Ended March 31st 2015" (PDF). Malvern Hills Conservators. Retrieved 14 February 2016.
- The Board of Conservators
- Hurle, Pamela (1984). The Malvern Hills: A hundred years of conservation. Phillimore. ISBN 0-85033-499-3.
- Smith, Brian S. (1978) . A History of Malvern. Leicester, UK: Leicester University Press. ISBN 0-904387-31-3.