|Private Limited Company|
|Founded||Malvern, Worcestershire, United Kingdom 1971|
|Headquarters||Malvern, Worcestershire, United Kingdom|
|Paul Walker, Managing Director CEO and president|
Number of employees
|Footnotes / references
Malvern Instruments is a Spectris plc company. Founded in the late 1960s, the company is a manufacturer and supplier of laboratory analytical instruments, was influential in the development of the Malvern Correlator, and remains notable for its work in the advancement of particle sizing technology. The company produces technology for materials analysis; principally instruments designed to measure the size, shape and charge of particles. Additional areas of development now include equipment for rheology measurements, chemical imaging and chromatography.
Malvern Instruments began with a focus on particle sizing. As it grew, this focus changed toward developing a "broad portfolio of analytical solutions". In 2014, the company's CTO expressed the company's focus as "We want to solve analytical bottlenecks".
In order to maintain agility and currency in product development, the company built an isolated internal division, the Bioscience Development Initiative based in Columbia, Maryland, which has an entrepreneurial character and freedom from corporate management constraints; the unit aims to rapidly develop technologies in partnership with scientists and engineers from the pharmaceutical and other industries and academia. This unit focuses on the biopharmaceutical sector, specifically formulation of drug products.
As part of the materials analysis sector, Malvern Instruments derives most of its revenue through sales of a range of particle and material characterisation instruments. These systems have applications across many industries including: pharmaceuticals, life sciences, metallurgy, mining, semiconductors, polymer science, protein science and food production.
- Spraytec droplet size system
- Mastersizer laser diffraction systems
- Zetasizer particle size systems
- Morphologi G3 particle characterisation system
- Sysmex FPIA-3000 particle characterisation system
- Near Infrared Chemical Imaging (NIR-CI) systems
- Rheometry systems
- Viscotek chromatography systems
- 2014: acquisition of MicroCal Instruments from GE Lifesciences, A Northampton MA, USA Based manufacturer of Thermodynamic analysis instruments
- 2013: acquisition of NanoSight, a Wiltshire-based manufacturer of nanoparticle characterization instruments
- 2010: acquisition of Reologica Instruments AB, a Lund-based manufacturer of rheology and viscometry instrumentation
- 2008: acquisition of Viscotek Corp, manufacturer of chromatographic and laboratory equipment and supplies
- 2006: acquisition of Spectral Dimensions Inc, a manufacturer of infrared chemical imaging instruments
- 2003: acquisition of Bohlin Instruments Ltd, a Gloucestershire-based manufacturer of rheology and viscosity instruments
- 2001: holding company changes its name to Spectris plc
- 1997: acquisition of Insitec Inc from Burnfield PLC
- 1997: acquired by the Fairey Aviation Company
- 1996: acquisition of A3 GmbH, Stuttgart based specialist in the design, manufacture and marketing of air and liquid particle counters
- 1992: Burnfield acquired Malvern Instruments from Cray Electronics Holdings
- 1971: incorporated as ‘Malvern Instruments Ltd.’
Innovations and awards
In 1977, Malvern Instruments was recognised by the Royal Academy of Engineering, jointly with the Royal Signals and Radar Establishment (RSRE), for developing the Malvern Correlator. More recently, the 2010 list of winners of the annual Queen's Awards for Enterprise includes Malvern Instruments, in celebration of an instrument that measures particles in fluids.
2010: Queen’s Award for Innovation
2006: Queen’s Award for International Trade
1988: Queen’s Award for Export & Technology
1981: Queen’s Award for Export Achievement
1977: Queen’s Award for Technological Achievement
- "Malvern Instruments Limited". Companies House (WebCheck). United Kingdom: Department for Business, Innovation and Skills. Company Number 01020602. Retrieved 2 December 2014.
- Staff (30 April 2010). "West Midlands Successes in the Queens Award for Enterprise". Birmingham Post. Archived from the original on 25 September 2012. Retrieved 10 June 2010.
- "Hoover report". Retrieved 14 May 2010.[dead link]
- Dutton, Gail (1 January 2014). "Traditional Instrument Maker Stays Nimble". Gen. Eng. Biotechnol. News. 31 (1). pp. 8–9.(registration required)
- Groom, Brian (21 April 2010). "The cutting edge of enterprise stays sharp". Financial Times. United Kingdom.(subscription required)
- "Malvern Instruments Ltd acquires Reologica Instruments AB". United States: Alacra. 14 April 2010. Archived from the original on 2 April 2011. Retrieved 12 June 2010.
- "SPECTRIS PLC (SXS:London Stock Exchange): Stock Quote & Company Profile". United States: Bloomberg Businessweek. Retrieved 14 June 2010.
- "Past Winners". MacRobert Award. United Kingdom: Royal Academy of Engineering. 1977. Retrieved 2 December 2014.
- Provder, Theodore (2000). "Challenges in particle size distribution measurement past, present and for the 21st century". In Craver, Clara D.; Carraher, Charles E. Jr. Applied Polymer Science: 21st Century. The Netherlands: Elsevier. pp. 873–92. ISBN 9780080434179. doi:10.1016/B978-008043417-9/50043-X.
- "About Malvern Instruments". Malvern Instruments. Retrieved 2 December 2014.
- "Malvern Instruments Ltd acquires Bohlin Instruments Ltd". United States: Alacra. 17 January 2008. Archived from the original on 16 January 2013. Retrieved 12 June 2010.
- "Malvern Instruments Ltd acquires Spectral Dimensions Inc". United States: Alacra. 15 July 2006. Archived from the original on 16 January 2013. Retrieved 12 June 2010.
- "Malvern Instruments Ltd acquires Viscotek Corp". United States: Alacra. 31 October 2003. Archived from the original on 2 April 2011. Retrieved 12 June 2010.
- Blakemore, S (2 July 2000). "Made in the Midlands". Sunday Mercury. United Kingdom.
- Snowsill, W.L., Chapter 16 – Particle Sizing, Instrumentation Reference Book (Fourth Edition), 2010, Pages 175–189, doi|10.1016/B978-0-7506-8308-1.00016-4
- Simmons, M.J.H., and Hanratty, T.J., Droplet size measurements in horizontal annular gas–liquid flow, International Journal of Multiphase Flow, Volume 27, Issue 5, May 2001, Pages 861–883
- Dumouchel, et al., Light multiple scattering correction of laser-diffraction spray drop-size distribution measurements, International Journal of Multiphase Flow, Volume 35, Issue 3, March 2009, Pages 277–287
- Farina, D.J., Regulatory Aspects of Nasal and Pulmonary Spray Drug Products, Handbook of Non-Invasive Drug Delivery Systems, 2010, Pages 247–290
- Johnson, W. and Chen, S., Performance evaluation of radial/vertical flow clarification applied to recirculating aquaculture systems, Aquacultural Engineering, Volume 34, Issue 1, January 2006, Pages 47–55
- Couto, et al., Micro-bubble size distribution measurements by laser diffraction technique, Minerals Engineering, Volume 22, Issue 4, March 2009, Pages 330–335
- Kwak, et al., Laser diffraction particle sizing by wet dispersion method for spray-dried infant formula, Journal of Food Engineering, Volume 92, Issue 3, June 2009, Pages 324–330
- Abdelbary, et al., The preparation of orally disintegrating tablets using a hydrophilic waxy binder, International Journal of Pharmaceutics, Volume 278, Issue 2, 8 July 2004, Pages 423–43 3
- World News, Journal of the Association for Laboratory Automation, Volume 15, Issue 3, June 2010, Pages A18, A20-A22, A24-A28, A30-A34, A36
- Pfrengle, et al., Electrophoretic deposition and sintering of zirconia layers on microstructured steel substrates, Journal of the European Ceramic Society, Volume 26, Issue 13, 2006, Pages 2633–2638
- Yalamanchili, et al., Adsorption of collector colloids in the flotation of alkali halide particles, International Journal of Mineral Processing, Volume 39, Issues 1–2, August 1993, Pages 137–153
- Chen, et al., The role of protein binding in the poisoning of gold nanoparticle catalysts, Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces, Volume 76, Issue 1, 1 March 2010, Pages 241–247
- Storti,F. and Balsamo, F., Impact of ephemeral cataclastic fabrics on laser diffraction particle size distribution analysis in loose carbonate fault breccia Journal of Structural Geology, Volume 32, Issue 4, April 2010, Pages 507–522
- Edwards et al., Optimal protection of stabilised dry live bacteria from bile toxicity in oral dosage forms by bile acid adsorbent resins, Chemical Engineering Science, In Press, Corrected Proof, Available online 26 May 2010
- Komabayashi et al., Particle Size and Shape of Calcium Hydroxide, Journal of Endodontics, Volume 35, Issue 2, February 2009, Pages 284–287
- Raschke, D. and Knorr, D., Rapid monitoring of cell size, vitality and lipid droplet development in the oleaginous yeast Waltomyces lipofer, Journal of Microbiological Methods, Volume 79, Issue 2, November 2009, Pages 178–183
- Krause, et al., Correlation of carbon nanotube dispersability in aqueous surfactant solutions and polymers, Carbon, Volume 47, Issue 3, March 2009, Pages 602–612
- Li et al., Measurement of drug agglomerates in powder blending simulation samples by near infrared chemical imaging, International Journal of Pharmaceutics, Volume 350, Issues 1–2, 28 February 2008, Pages 369–373
- Puchert T, Lochmann D, Menezes JC, Reich G (2010). "Near-infrared chemical imaging (NIR-CI) for counterfeit drug identification--a four-stage concept with a novel approach of data processing (Linear Image Signature)". J Pharm Biomed Anal. 51 (1): 138–45. PMID 19766424. doi:10.1016/j.jpba.2009.08.022.
- Hilden LR, Pommier CJ, Badawy SI, Friedman EM (2008). "NIR chemical imaging to guide/support BMS-561389 tablet formulation development". Int J Pharm. 353 (1-2): 283–90. PMID 18182257. doi:10.1016/j.ijpharm.2007.11.032.
- Luukkonen, et al., Rheological characterization of microcrystalline cellulose and silicified microcrystalline cellulose wet masses using a mixer torque rheometer, International Journal of Pharmaceutics, Volume 188, Issue 2, 25 October 1999, Pages 181–192
- Allen, et al., Whipped cream-like textured systems based on acidified caseinate-stabilized oil-in-water emulsions, International Dairy Journal, Volume 18, Issues 10–11, October–November 2008, Pages 1011–1021
- Jewad, et al., Dispersant selection for aqueous medium pressure injection moulding of anhydrous dicalcium phosphate, Journal of the European Ceramic Society, Volume 28, Issue 3, 2008, Pages 547–553
- Holoubek, J., Some applications of light scattering in materials science, Journal of Quantitative Spectroscopy and Radiative Transfer, Volume 106, Issues 1–3, July–August 2007, Pages 104–12
- Miles, et al., The design of well-defined PDMS–Magnetite complexes, Polymer, Volume 51, Issue 2, 21 January 2010, Pages 482–491
- 'Hagenaars, et al., Relationship between structure and adjuvanticity of N,N,N-trimethyl chitosan (TMC) structural variants in a nasal influenza vaccine, Journal of Controlled Release, Volume 140, Issue 2, 3 December 2009, Pages 126–133'
- Thomson Financial Mergers & Acquisitions report; Malvern Instruments Ltd acquires Insitec Inc from Burnfield PLC, published 31 Mar 1997; Retrieved 12 June 2010
- Thomson Financial Mergers & Acquisitions report; Malvern Instruments Ltd acquires A3 GmbH, published 1 Nov 1996; Retrieved 12 June 2010
- Thomson Financial Mergers & Acquisitions report; Burnfield PLC acquires Malvern Instruments Ltd from Anite PLC, published 9 September 1992; Retrieved 12 June 2010
- The Royal Academy of Engineering (RAE)
- Business Link: Queen's Award for Enterprise
- Queens Award for Enterprise Magazine; http://www.queensawardsmagazine.com/awardwinners/search?qchar=M Winners list Archived 5 October 2010 at the Wayback Machine. Retrieved on 12 June 2010
- BINDT website, the British Institute of Non-Destructive Testing, http://www.bindt.org/Content.asp?PageID=999&RSSID=4 Archived 25 July 2011 at the Wayback Machine. Retrieved 12 June 2010