|Single by The Jackson 5|
|from the album Third Album|
|Released||January 7, 1971 (U.S.)|
Hitsville West, Los Angeles
|Genre||Bubblegum pop, soul|
|Songwriter(s)||The Corporation: Berry Gordy|
|The Jackson 5 singles chronology|
"Mama's Pearl" was one of six consecutive top 5 singles for the group. "Mama's Pearl" went to number two for two weeks on the Billboard Hot 100 behind, "One Bad Apple" by The Osmonds. On the soul singles it likewise peaked at number two. Overseas, "Mama's Pearl" peaked at #25 in the UK.
The song, while sung mostly by Michael featured cameo spots from brothers Jermaine and Jackie. According to a Jackson biographer, "Mama's Pearl" was originally called "Guess Who's Making Whoopie (With Your Girlfriend)". Producer Deke Richards reportedly had the lyrics and title changed to preserve Michael Jackson's youthful, innocent image. The demo version has since been released on the 2012 compilation "Come and Get It: The Rare Pearls".
- Lead and background vocals: Michael Jackson, Jermaine Jackson, Jackie Jackson, Tito Jackson and Marlon Jackson
- Written, produced, and arranged by The Corporation: Berry Gordy, Alphonzo Mizell, Freddie Perren and Deke Richards
- Instrumentation by various Los Angeles studio musicians
|U.K. Singles Chart||25|
|U.S. Billboard Hot 100||2|
|U.S. Billboard Best Selling Soul Singles||2|
- "Mama's Pearl: Song information". www.mjj.lt.
- "The Hot 100 Chart".
- Whitburn, Joel (2004). Top R&B/Hip-Hop Singles: 1942-2004. Record Research. p. 267.
- Taraborrelli, J. Randy (2003). Michael Jackson: The Magic and the Madness. London: Sidgwick & Jackson. p. 80.
- "The Jackson 5 | full Official Chart History | Official Charts Company".
- "The Jacksons 5 Chart History: Billboard Hot 100". Billboard. Retrieved 2019-11-09.
- "The Jackson 5 Chart History: Dance Singles Sales". Billboard. Retrieved 2019-11-09.