|Born||Mohamad bin Mohamad Khalid
April 6, 1963
Ipoh, Perak, Federation of Malaya (now Malaysia)
|Occupation||Film director, screenwriter|
|Notable work||Zombi Kampung Pisang
Kala Malam Bulan Mengambang
|Relatives||Mohammad Nor Khalid (brother)|
Mohamad bin Mohamad Khalid, better known as Mamat Khalid (born April 6, 1963) is a Malaysian screenwriter and film director. He is the younger brother of cartoonist Datuk Mohammad Nor Khalid, better known as Lat.
Life and career
Mamat was born on 6 April 1963 in Ipoh, Perak. As a young boy, he used to go to the cinemas every other day to catch the latest movies. Unfortunately, his hobby did not resonate well with his father, who even banned him from frequenting cinemas even on his deathbed, even when the latter passed on in 1974. However, that did not break young Mamat's passion for films.
Before venturing into film-making, Mamat worked in a government office. He is a fan of rock music, having joined an amateur band named Drop Out in 1986 where he was the band's keyboardist. The experiences that he had went through during this phase inspired him to write and direct his 2005 film Rock, in which its commercial success led into two sequels - Rock Ooo…! (2013) and Rock Bro! (2016).
He cites the late director P. Ramlee as one of his filmmaking heroes.
On 21 April 2017, Mamat was admitted to the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) of the Ampang Puteri Hospital after complaining of breathing difficulties at about 3 in the morning after having some coffee with his friends. He was believed to have extreme fatigue after attending the preview session of his latest movie, Lebuhraya Ke Neraka in Bukit Bintang. Mamat however remains in stable condition albeit under a doctor's monitoring due to his high blood pressure.
|2004||Puteri Gunung Ledang||Yes|
|2007||Zombi Kampung Pisang||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|2008||Kala Malam Bulan Mengambang||Yes||Yes|
|Cicakman 2: Planet Hitam||Yes|
|Dunia Baru The Movie||Yes|
|Hantu Kak Limah Balik Rumah||Yes||Yes|
|2013||Husin, Mon dan Jin Pakai Toncit / Hantu Kak Limah 2||Yes||Yes|
|Zombi Kilang Biskut||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Amir dan Lokman Pergi ke Laut||Yes||Yes|
|Rombongan Cik Kiah ke Kelana Jaya||Yes||Yes|
|Rumah Pusaka Di Simpang Jalan||Yes||Yes|
|Terbaik Dari Langit||Yes|
|2015||Werewolf Dari Bangladesh||Yes||Yes|
|Usop Wilcha Menghonjang Makhluk Muzium||Yes||Yes|
|2017||Lebuhraya Ke Neraka||Yes||Yes|
- Best Director, Pinang Durian, Anugerah Panca Delima, 1999
- Best Screenplay, Puteri Gunung Ledang, the 18th Malaysia Film Festival, 2005
- Best Director, Kala Malam Bulan Mengambang, the 21st Malaysia Film Festival, 2008
- Kamin, A. (22 July 2005). "A local movie about rock culture". star-ecentral.com. Retrieved 24 April 2007.
- Abd. Aziz Itar (29 November 2005). "Rock - Cetusan pengalaman Mamat Khalid" (in Malay). Utusan Malaysia. Retrieved 22 March 2017.
- Riadz Radzi (21 April 2017). "Mamat Khalid masuk ICU". Harian Metro (in Malay). Retrieved 25 April 2017.
- Farhana Ab Rahman (21 April 2017). "Mamat Khalid masuk ICU akibat sesak nafas". Berita Harian (in Malay). Retrieved 25 April 2017.
- "Tipah Tertipu" (in Malay). filemkita.com. Retrieved 24 April 2007.