|Known for||United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction|
Mami Mizutori (水鳥真美 (Mizutori Mami), born 1960) is a Japanese diplomat. She has been the Assistant Secretary-General and Special Representative of the Secretary-General for Disaster Risk Reduction in the United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction (UNDRR, formerly UNISDR) since March 2018.
Early life and education
After graduation, Mizutori joined the Japanese Ministry of Foreign Affairs, where she worked for twenty-seven years, serving among other positions as Budget Director, Director of the United Nations Policy Division, the National Security Policy Division, and the Status of US Forces Agreement Division and Director of the Japan Information and Culture Centre at the Japanese Embassy in London. In 2011 Mizutani became Executive Director of the Sainsbury Institute for the Study of Japanese Arts and Cultures at the University of East Anglia, in England. She has also taught courses at Ritsumeikan Asia Pacific University and Waseda University, has been published and advised think tanks on current affairs, and is a member of the UK-Japan 21st Century Group, which makes annual recommendations to the Prime Ministers of the two countries.
On 1 March 2018 Mizutori succeeded Robert Glasser as Special Representative of the United Nations Secretary-General for Disaster Risk Reduction and head of the United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction (UNDRR, formerly UNISDR).
- "Special Representative of the UN Secretary-General (SRSG) for Disaster Risk Reduction". UNISDR. Retrieved 20 January 2019.
- "Mizutori Mami-shi no bōsai-tantō Kokuren jimu-jichō-ho ken jimu-sōchō tokubetsu-daihyō shimei ni tsuite: (Gaimu daijin danwa)" [Upon the appointment of Ms. Mami Mizutori for the Assistant Secretary-General and Special Representative of the Secretary-General for Disaster Risk Reduction in the UN (Foreign Minister's Talk)]. mofa.go.jp (in Japanese). 1 February 2018. Retrieved April 3, 2019.
- "(Bettenyō) Danwa-yō ryakureki 000330244" [(Supplement) Bio for Talk 000330244] (PDF). mofa.go.jp (in Japanese). Retrieved April 3, 2019.
- "Japan's Mami Mizutori named special U.N. envoy for disaster reduction". The Japan Times. 1 February 2018.
- "Executive Director". Sainsbury Institute for the Study of Japanese Arts and Cultures. Retrieved 20 January 2019.
- Takahashi, Rina (1 February 2018). "Kokuren bosai tanto ni Mizutori-shi, Guteresu jimusocho ga nimmei" [Ms. Mizutori was appointed for the Head of the United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction by Mr. Gtereth, UN Secretary-General]. The Nikkei (in Japanese).
- Weber, Judith Libhaber (Summer 2016). "Class of 1990". Brandeis Magazine.
- "Class of 1990". BrandeisMAGAZINE. Retrieved 2018-02-01.