Mamil or MAMIL (an acronym standing for "middle-aged man in lycra".) is a middle aged man who rides an expensive racing bicycle for leisure, wearing professional style body-hugging bicycle jerseys and bicycle shorts.
The word was reportedly coined by British marketing research firm Mintel in 2010. It gained further popularity in the United Kingdom with the success of Bradley Wiggins in the 2012 Tour de France and at the 2012 Summer Olympics
In Australia the popularity of cycling with middle-aged men wearing lycra has been described as associated with the Tour Down Under and the 2011 Tour de France winner Cadel Evans. The former Prime Minister of Australia Tony Abbott has been described as a "mamil". This rise in popularity has been echoed in the United Kingdom where Olympic, Tour de France, and UCI World Championships victories in recent years have spurred interest.
- Dominic Casciani (14 August 2010). "Rise of the Mamils (middle-aged men in lycra)". BBC News. British Broadcasting Corporation. Retrieved 14 December 2013.
- Wallace, Wade (2 September 2012). "Middle Aged Men In Lycra". The Sydney Morning Herald. Fairfax Media. Retrieved 14 December 2013.
- "Mamil". Collins English Dictionary. HarperCollins. Retrieved 14 December 2013.
- Matt Seaton (11 September 2012). "The humble Mamil: why we need 'middle-aged men in Lycra'". The Guardian. Guardian Media Group. Retrieved 14 December 2013.
- Jennifer Parker (16 November 2013). "In the Land of the Mamils: Where Men Are Men and Bikes Are a Semester at Yale". Bloomberg Television. Bloomberg L.P. Retrieved 5 January 2014.
- "Mamil at the crack of dawn". The Brunei Times. 19 October 2013. Retrieved 8 January 2014.
- Verity Edwards (21 January 2012). "A new species of mamil hits the road". The Australian. News Corp Australia. Retrieved 14 December 2013.
- Huynh, Kim (16 October 2013). "Pest or indigenous species, the mamil abounds". The Sydney Morning Herald. Fairfax Media. Retrieved 14 December 2013.
|Look up MAMIL in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
- Catherine Bennett in The Observer: Modern tribes: the midlife cycling obsessive
- MAMIL in Oxforddictionaries (added 2014) : http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/fr/definition/anglais/MAMIL