|Single by Connie Francis|
|from the album Connie Francis Sings Italian Favorites|
|Format||45 RPM single (7")|
|Recorded||August 25, 1959|
EMI Studios, London
|Songwriter(s)||Cesare Andrea Bixio, Bixio Cherubini, Harold Barlow, Phil Brito|
|Producer(s)||Norman Newell, Arnold Maxin|
|Connie Francis singles chronology|
The performers of this song included: Beniamino Gigli, Luciano Tajoli, Richard Tucker, Claudio Villa, Robertino Loreti, Violetta Villas, Muslim Mogomayev, Luciano Pavarotti, Toto Cutugno, Andrea Bocelli, Sergio Franchi, Romina Arena, Jon Christos and Mario Frangoulis.
In 1946, the English lyrics were written by Harold Barlow and Phil Brito who had their popular recording hit the charts in May 1946 under the title of "Mama".
British singer David Whitfield also had a hit with the song, which reached number 12 in the UK Singles Chart in 1955. The British lyrics did differ from the American ones. The song was re-arranged and re-written by Geoffrey Parsons and John Turner.
The song was also recorded by Connie Francis in 1959 for her album Connie Francis Sings Italian Favorites, with her hit single released in February 1960. Arranged and conducted by Tony Osborne, the Connie Francis version of the song was a number two hit in the UK, and peaked at number eight on the Billboard Hot 100 chart.
The song in German (as well as in Dutch and in English) was recorded by Dutch child singer Heintje Simons for his album Heintje in 1967 (lyrics written by Bruno Balz). Also Heintje performed Mama in Zum Teufel mit der Penne (1968) comedy film.
- "Connie Francis - Mama/Teddy". Discogs.com. Retrieved 2018-03-30. Also issued under catalogue numbers 12878X (Canada 1959), HK 5009 (Netherlands 1960), MGM-5312 (Australia 1960) and 45-MGM 6531 (Denmark).
- "Connie Francis - Mama". Discogs.com. Retrieved 2018-03-30.
- Bixio, Bixio & Ambrogi (2007, pp.5, 11, 139). The lyrics have been widely misattributed, especially in English-language sources, to Cherubini's elder brother, Bruno.
- Bixio, Carlo; Bixio, Franco; Ambrogi, Sabina (2007), MAMMA Alle origini di uno stereotipo italiano [MAMMA towards the origins of an Italian stereotype] (in Italian), Rome: Donzelli
- "UK Top 40 Chart Archive, British Singles & Album Charts". everyHit.com. 2000-03-16. Retrieved 2016-07-23.
- "Release Info". Britburn.co.uk. Retrieved 2016-07-23.
- "David Whitfield - Mama Lyrics | Lyrics". Flashlyrics.com. Retrieved 2016-07-23.
- CD liner notes: The Very Best of Connie Francis Volume Two
- Whitburn, Joel (2009). Top Pop Singles 1955-2008 (12th ed.). p. 368. ISBN 0-89820-180-2.
- "Heintje - Heintje (Vinyl, LP, Album) at Discogs". Discogs.com. Retrieved 2016-07-23.
- "Zum Teufel mit der Penne - Die Lümmel von der ersten Bank, 2. Teil (1968)". IMDb.com. Retrieved 2016-07-23.