Mamma Mia! The Movie Soundtrack
|Mamma Mia! The Movie Soundtrack|
|Soundtrack album by Mamma Mia! film cast|
July 8, 2008
November 25, 2008
|Label||Sony BMG Music Entertainment|
Björn Ulvaeus (executive)
Mamma Mia! The Movie Soundtrack  is the soundtrack album for the 2008 Universal Pictures musical film Mamma Mia!, based on the stage musical of the same name. It features performances by the film's cast including Meryl Streep, Amanda Seyfried, Pierce Brosnan, Dominic Cooper, Stellan Skarsgård, Colin Firth, Julie Walters, Christine Baranski, Ashley Lilley, and Rachel McDowall. The recording was produced by Benny Andersson who along with Björn Ulvaeus had produced the original ABBA recordings. Also many of the musicians from the original ABBA recordings participated in making the soundtrack album. In keeping with the setting, the musical arrangements featured the use of traditional Greek instruments, most noticeably the bouzouki.
The album was nominated for a Grammy Award for Best Compilation Soundtrack Album for Motion Picture, Television or Other Visual Media.
- "Honey, Honey" - Amanda Seyfried, Ashley Lilley & Rachel McDowall - 3:07
- "Money, Money, Money" - Meryl Streep, Julie Walters & Christine Baranski - 3:06
- "Mamma Mia" - Meryl Streep - 3:34
- "Chiquitita" - Meryl Streep, Julie Walters and Christine Baranski - 4:23
- "Dancing Queen" - Meryl Streep, Julie Walters & Christine Baranski - 4:04
- "Our Last Summer" - Colin Firth, Pierce Brosnan, Stellan Skarsgård, Amanda Seyfried & Meryl Streep - 2:57
- "Lay All Your Love on Me" - Dominic Cooper & Amanda Seyfried - 4:29
- "Super Trouper" - Meryl Streep, Julie Walters & Christine Baranski - 3:53
- "Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! (A Man After Midnight)" - Amanda Seyfried, Ashley Lilley & Rachel McDowall - 3:51
- "The Name of the Game" - Amanda Seyfried - 4:55
- "Voulez-Vous" - Full Cast - 4:35
- "SOS" - Pierce Brosnan & Meryl Streep - 3:19
- "Does Your Mother Know" - Christine Baranski - 3:01
- "Slipping Through My Fingers" - Meryl Streep & Amanda Seyfried - 3:50
- "The Winner Takes It All" - Meryl Streep - 4:57
- "When All Is Said and Done" - Pierce Brosnan & Meryl Streep - 3:17
- "Take a Chance on Me" - Julie Walters, Stellan Skarsgård & Colin Firth - 4:01
- "I Have a Dream"/"Thank You for the Music" (Hidden Track) - Amanda Seyfried - 8:33
|17.||"I Have a Dream"||4:18|
|18.||"Thank You for the Music"||3:44|
The Deluxe Edition of the soundtrack features the original soundtrack (with no new songs) and a bonus DVD that features a "Behind the Music" special that shows some of the recording process for the movie, as well as a music video for "Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! (A Man After Midnight)" featuring Amanda Seyfried. The booklet for the deluxe edition is different from the original, containing all the lyrics, an article written by Musical Director Martin Lowe, taping location info, and additional photos from the movie.
- "Chiquitita" - Christine Baranski & Julie Walters
- "I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do" - Full Cast
- "Waterloo" - Full Cast
The album peaked at #1 in the USA on the Billboard 200 albums chart in August 2008. It was certified Platinum by the RIAA on August 18, 2008, and has sold 1,694,000 copies in the United States as of July 2014. Worldwide, the soundtrack has sold over 5 million copies to date, spending a total of 2 weeks at #1 on the world charts.
The album had outsold the top 10 albums in the UK Albums Chart by 20 June 2008; however, it was ineligible for the main chart. In New Zealand, the album debuted at number 8 on July 14, 2008, and climbed to number one the following week. In Greece, it peaked at number one on the international chart and number 1 on the main albums chart for many weeks. In Australia, the album reached #1 in its second week on the ARIA Albums Chart, knocking off the highly successful Coldplay album Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends.
"Honey, Honey" has also charted at #16 on the Norwegian Singles Chart and #50 on the Australian ARIA Singles Chart, due to high download sales. Other tracks selling well enough to chart in Australia include "Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! (A Man After Midnight)" (#70), "Lay All Your Love on Me" (#85), "Dancing Queen" (#96) and "Mamma Mia" (#98).