|Minister of Defense of Azerbaijan|
September 2, 1993 – February 6, 1995
|Preceded by||Vahid Musayev (acting)|
|Succeeded by||Safar Abiyev|
|Service/branch||Azerbaijani Armed Forces|
Mammadrafi Mammadov Ismayil oglu (Azerbaijani: Məmmədrəfi Məmmədov İsmayıl oğlu) was Minister of Defense of Azerbaijan from September 2, 1993 until February 6, 1995. Mammadov served as minister during the period of fierce fighting on Karabakh front.
Term in office
Lieutenant General Mammadov was deputy chief commander of Leningrad Military District before he was invited to lead the Ministry of Defense in Azerbaijan. On September 2, 1993 acting President Heydar Aliyev appointed Mammadov the Minister of Defense of Azerbaijan. He was appointed to the post at powerful colonel Suret Huseynov's request when Aliyev assumed power in June 1993, mainly because of his close ties to Russian military officials, including the Russian Defense Minister, Pavel Grachev, in the hope that closer military ties with Russia would benefit Azerbaijan. However, the connections yielded the opposite. During his official visit to Russia in 1994, Mammadrafi Mammadov agreed to station two regiments of Russian armed forces in Azerbaijan which was announced by Grachev during the joint press conference. Since the motion was not previously communicated to and approved by President Aliyev, the claims were immediately refuted by outraged Aliyev himself. Within the next few months, Grachev as well as Anatoly Kornukov travelled to Azerbaijan to persuade Azerbaijani authorities to allow Russian military presence in Azerbaijan but were denied the requests.
However, Mammadov is also credited for notifying Baku authorities of acts of sabotage in Azerbaijan. While working in Moscow, Mammadrafi Mammadov passed confidential information about planned helicopter attack of Russian forces on the dissolved Soviet military base in Ganja which was to transfer considerable amount of ammunition and equipment to Azerbaijan as per agreement between Russian and Azerbaijani authorities. The warehouses were immediately emptied and equipment was saved.
Throughout Mammadov's term in office, most of Azerbaijani territories were not recaptured and remained under Armenian military control. Mammadov was one of the co-signers of Bishkek ceasefire agreement. After the war, he also tried to arrange a 3,500 German peacekeeping force on Karabakh frontlines under auspices of the Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe.
- "Вооруженным силам Азербайджана исполняется 89 лет" [Armed Forces of Azerbaijan turn 89]. Retrieved 2010-07-13.
- "Azərbaycan Respublikası Müdafiə Nazirliyi. 1991-dən sonra" [Ministry of Defense of Azerbaijan Republic. Events after 1991]. Archived from the original on July 5, 2010. Retrieved 2010-07-13.
- Tyukov, Nikita (1993). 15 независимых республик: высшие должностные лица [15 independent republics: high-ranking officials]. Panorama. p. 12. Retrieved 2010-07-13.
- "Tarixdə bu gün (31 yanvar - 6 fevral)" [Today in history (January 31 - February 6)]. Retrieved 2010-07-13.
- Elshad Pashasoy (2008-12-13). "RUS ORDUSUNUN AZƏRBAYCANA QAYITMASINI KİM İSTƏYİB?" [Who wanted the return of Russian forces to Azerbaijan]. Yeni Musavat. Retrieved 2010-07-13.
- "Fövqəladə komendant" [Extraordinary commendant]. Retrieved 2010-07-13.
- "ГРАЖДАНСКОЕ ЛИЦО ВО ГЛАВЕ МИНОБОРОНЫ?" [A civilian as Minister of Defense?]. Retrieved 2010-07-13.
- R. Orujev (2005-05-06). "11 лет назад было положено начало режиму прекращения огня" [11 years ago ceasefire was achieved]. Ekho. Retrieved 2010-07-13.
- "Бундесвер в роли миротворца" [Bundeswehr as peacekeep]. Retrieved 2010-07-12.
- "M. İ. Məmmədovun Azərbaycan Respublikasının müdafiə naziri vəzifəsindən azad edilməsi haqqında AZƏRBAYCAN RESPUBLİKASI PREZİDENTİNİN FƏRMANI" [Order of President of Azerbaijan Republic on relieving M.I. Mammadov from his duties of Minister of Defense of Azerbaijan Republic]. Retrieved 2011-01-11.
- "S. A. Əbiyevin Azərbaycan Respublikasının müdafiə naziri təyin edilməsi haqqında AZƏRBAYCAN RESPUBLİKASI PREZİDENTİNİN FƏRMANI" [Order of President of Azerbaijan Republic on appointment of S.A. Abiyev Minister of Defense of Azerbaijan Republic]. Retrieved 2011-01-05.