Man (Man album)
|Studio album by Man|
|Recorded||October 1970 at Olympic Studios, Barnes, London|
|Genre||Psychedelic rock, Progressive rock, Blues rock|
Man is the third studio album by the Welsh psychedelic/progressive rock band Man and was released March 1971. It was the first album by this line-up, Terry Williams having replaced Jeff Jones on drums, while Martin Ace replaced Ray Williams on bass.
As well as a change in personnel, the album also represented a change in record label from Pye to United Artists (released under the UA stable "Liberty" imprint) with whom the band would remain until 1976. Reviews were mixed, particularly regarding the long tracks "Would the Christians...." and "Alchemist" which were an attempt to recreate some of the longer improvised jams that the band performed on stage, but which did not have the same impact on vinyl.
The album contained three shorter tunes: "Country Girl" that showed a clash of direction but showcases some fine Welsh harmonies. "Daughter of the Fireplace", a Leonard-penned rocker, which became a stage favourite (and highlight of Man's 1972 live LP Live at the Padget Rooms, Penarth) while "Romain", a bluesy-shuffle, was written as a reaction to Martin Ace's treatment by a Belgian police officer of the same name when he attempted to intervene in a situation at a music festival; the song remains in the Man live set to the present day.
|1.||"Romain"||Martin Ace, Clive John, Michael Jones, Roger Leonard, Terry Williams||6:11|
|2.||"Country Girl"||Ace, Leonard||3:08|
|3.||"Would The Christians Wait Five Minutes? The Lions Are Having A Draw"||Ace, Jones||12:52|
|1.||"Daughter Of The Fireplace"||Leonard||5:11|
|2.||"Alchemist"||Ace, John, Jones, Leonard, Williams||20:41|
- Martin Ace – bass guitar, acoustic guitar, vocals
- Clive John – organ, piano, electric guitar, harpsichord, vocals
- Michael Jones – electric guitar, acoustic guitar, vocals
- Roger Leonard – electric guitar, acoustic guitar, piano, steel guitar, vocals
- Terry Williams – drums, percussion, liberty bell on "Daughter"
- Produced - Mel Baiser for Gem Production
- Engineer - George Chkiantz & Rik ?? 
The original album was re-issued on CD in 1998 (Point PNTVP117CD)
The album was remastered and re-issued on CD in 2007 (Esoteric eclec 2012) including 2 bonus tracks:-
- Daughter Of The Fireplace (Single Version)
- Alchemist (First Version)
- "Manband Archive - Music". www.manband-archive.com. Retrieved 2009-08-08.
- "allmusic ((( Man > Overview )))". www.allmusic.com. Retrieved 2009-12-01.
- "DPRP : CD & DVD REVIEWS". www.dprp.net. Retrieved 2009-12-01.
- "Man". Man Archive. Julian & Marie Gough. Retrieved 2012-09-16.
- Esoteric re-release track listing Link updated 15 October 2010