Man from Delmonte
|This article needs additional or better citations for verification. (October 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Man From Delmonte|
|Past members||Mike West
Man from Delmonte was an independent band from Manchester, England, formed in the mid-1980s.
The band members had little in common with most Manchester bands. Goody was a graduate of Winchester School of Art. Vincent had been an art critic and painter. Sheila Seal, a Glaswegian, was a classically trained musician who had run an art gallery. And Mike West, who wrote the songs, was the Australian-born son of the successful author, Morris West.
They took their name from a series of 1980s television advertisements for Del Monte fruit juices, featuring the "Man From Del Monte". In these, the man would visit villages to sample their fruit juices, to see if they were good enough to be included in his company's drinks. The tagline, shouted jubilantly by a villager on approval was, "The man from Del Monte, he say 'Yes!'"'.
At one point they were managed by the journalist Jon Ronson.
After they split up in 1990, some members continued as Surfurbia. West moved to New Orleans to pursue a solo career in the early 1990s. After Hurricane Katrina hit New Orleans in 2005, West and his family relocated to Lawrence, Kansas. He continues to tour internationally, and record albums with Katie Euliss as Truckstop Honeymoon. Vincent was involved in the development of Manchester's contemporary art scene, setting up exhibition and commissioning agency the Annual Programme, and the International 3 gallery, which took its name from two venues in Manchester that the Man from Delmonte had performed at. He continues to perform with his band, Die Kunst.
- "Drive, Drive, Drive" (1987) Ugly Man Records
- "Water in My Eyes" (1987) Ugly Man Records
- "Will Nobody Save Louise" (1988) Ugly Man Records (#13)
- Monday Morning After EP (1989) Bop Cassettes
- "Big Noise" (1989) Bop Cassettes/(2000) Vinyl Japan (#20)
- "My Love Is Like A Gift You Can't Return" (1989) Bop Cassettes (#13)
- Catholic Boys on Mobilettes (1989) Bop Cassettes
- Big Noise (1989), Bop Cassettes
- The Good Things in Life (1999) Vinyl Japan