This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Origin||Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States|
|Labels||Ace Fu Records, ANTI-|
|Associated acts||Mister Heavenly, Shilpa Ray, Modest Mouse, Icy Demons, Buffalo Stance, Tom Waits, Coyote, The Extraordinaires, The Shills, Father Figures, Outkast, Landlady, Spaceship Aloha|
|Members||Honus Honus (Ryan Kattner)
Pow Pow (Christopher Powell)
Brown Sugar (Adam Schatz)
Shono (Bryan Murphy)
Man Man is an experimental band from Philadelphia. Their multi-instrumental style is centered on the piano playing of lead singer and lyricist Honus Honus. On recordings, Honus usually plays piano but during the live shows he uses a Rhodes Piano or a Nord Electro 3. He is accompanied by an energetic group of musicians and vocalists. Instruments played by the band include a clavinet, Moog Little Phatty, sousaphone, saxophone, trumpet, French horn, flute, bass clarinet, drum set, euphonium, Fender Jazz Bass, Danelectro baritone guitar, xylophone, marimba, melodica and various percussive instruments including pots and pans, toy noisemakers, Chinese funeral horns, spoons, smashing plates, fireworks, and—on occasion—audience members' heads.
Man Man released their debut The Man in a Blue Turban with a Face in October 2004 on Ace Fu Records, but they did not begin to tour extensively until their follow-up album Six Demon Bag was released in 2006 to positive reviews. During 2007, the band opened for Modest Mouse on several U.S tours, gaining them further public attention. Not long afterward, Nike began airing a series of commercials starring Rainn Wilson with Man Man's "10 lb Mustache" as the background music. "10 lb Mustache", "Feathers", and "Engrish Bwudd" were featured in season 3, episode 8 of the TV show Weeds. The band also recorded a cover of "Little Boxes" for the title sequence of that episode.
Man Man released their third studio album Rabbit Habits on ANTI- in 2008, and embarked on a North American tour in March 2008, with Yeasayer and Tim Fite splitting dates. They performed at numerous festivals including Voodoo Experience, Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival, All Tomorrow's Parties, Primavera Sound, and the Meredith Music Festival that same year.
Man Man released their fourth album Life Fantastic in May 2011 with producer Mike Mogis (of Bright Eyes and Monsters of Folk fame). Choosing to abandon their previous "wacky" sound, in favor of a more somber sound. The first song written for the album was "Steak Knives," inspired by a failed relationship and the death of a close friend. It took Kattner (Honus Honus) over a year to write.
Honus has made an album with Nicholas Thorburn of Islands and The Unicorns, and Joe Plummer of Modest Mouse and The Shins under the name, Mister Heavenly. Thorburn has suggested he and Honus are making a record in a new subgenre called "Doom Wop," consisting of slow, low-frequency music transposed with traditional doo wop harmonies.
Man Man then recorded their fifth studio album, On Oni Pond which was released on September 10, 2013. The album was again produced by Mike Mogis. They have released the first single, titled "Head On." "Head On" peaked at #32 on the Billboard Alternative Songs chart.
Honus has recently completed both a solo album and an album of children's music, though no release dates have been set for either.
- Honus Honus: Vocals, Piano, Electric Piano, Organ, Guitar, Ukulele, Percussion
- Pow Pow: Drums, Percussion, Programming, Loops, Samples
with multi-instrumentalists Shono Murphy (DiPinto Guitar, Trumpet, Percussion, Vocals) and Brown Sugar (Schatzaphone, DiPinto Bass, malletKAT, Saxophone, Keyboards, Percussion, Vocals).
Previous members have included, but were not limited to Tiberius Lyn, Sweet Chestnut, Kritter Krat/Cougar (Russell Higbee, Current touring bassist for Modest Mouse), Turkey Moth/Giamebee (Jamey Robinson), Chang Wang (Billy Blaise Dufala), Steven Dufala, Les Mizzle (Craig Van Hise), Jefferson, and Sergei Sogay (Chris Shar).
- The Man in a Blue Turban with a Face (2004)
- Six Demon Bag (2006)
- Rabbit Habits (2008)
- Life Fantastic (2011)
- On Oni Pond (2013)
- Man Man EP (2004)
- Little Torments 7" (2008)
"Head On (Hold On To Your Heart)" - No. 32 Alternative Songs
-  Archived June 8, 2008, at the Wayback Machine.
- "The Shins, Man Man Do Weeds". Stereogum. 2007-07-09. Retrieved 2014-02-15.
- "Interview: Honus Honus of Man Man". Inflatable Ferret. Retrieved 2014-02-15.
- Weiss, Evan (20 October 2009). "The Arts Section: Islands Feature". The Arts Section. Retrieved 20 October 2009.
- "Man Man - "Head On (Hold On To Your Heart)"". YouTube. 2013-07-09. Retrieved 2014-02-15.
- "Man Man's Honus Honus Talks Mister Heavenly, Solo Record, and Writing Lyrics on the Walls". TRANSVERSO. Retrieved 2015-11-05.
- Official Site
- Interview with Honus Honus, Ryan Kattner, The Inflatable Ferret 10/13/11
- Interview with RadioUTD
- Interview with Tiny Mix Tapes' Chris Ruen
- Interview with Pitchfork Media 05/22/06
- WHYME Podcast #49: Interview with Honus Honus of Man Man
- NPR Broadcast of the June 30, 2006 concert in Washington, DC
- Tiny Mix Tapes article on current tour.
- Set of 6 live videos at scheduletwo.com
- Honus Honus interview with Ted Coe on KCSB-FM's The Freak Power Ticket 08/30/10