Man of the World (song)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|"Man of the World"|
1969 Germany issue
|Single by Fleetwood Mac|
|B-side||"Somebody's Gonna Get Their Head Kicked in Tonite"|
|Released||3 April 1969|
|Fleetwood Mac singles chronology|
"Man of the World" is a song recorded by Fleetwood Mac in 1969, and composed by vocalist and lead guitarist Peter Green. It first appeared as a Fleetwood Mac single in various countries in 1969, subsequently appearing on the Greatest Hits album in 1971. It later featured on the 1992 boxed set 25 Years – The Chain, and on the 2002 compilation albums The Very Best of Fleetwood Mac and The Best of Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac. A slightly different version of the song was included on the 1998 compilation The Vaudeville Years.
Composition and chart performance
The single's peak position in the UK Singles Chart was No. 2 on 7 June 1969, spending a total of 14 weeks on the listing. It entered the Dutch Top 40 on 26 April 1969 and peaked at No. 12. It also reached the top five in Norway and Ireland.
Original B-side ("Somebody's Gonna Get Their Head Kicked in Tonite")
The B-side of the original "Man of the World" single was "Somebody's Gonna Get Their Head Kicked in Tonite", credited to Earl Vince and the Valiants – in reality Fleetwood Mac performing under a different name. The song was composed and sung by Jeremy Spencer, the only member of the band who did not appear on the A-side. The song was later covered by the UK punk band The Rezillos on their debut album, Can't Stand the Rezillos and later featured on Jackass: The Music, Vol. 1. It was also covered by Youth Brigade, Rubber City Rebels and White Noise
"Man of the World" was used by Ian Broudie as the basis – melody and the final lyric line – for an album track, "I Wish I Was in Love", on The Lightning Seeds' album Tilt. The track is accordingly credited as co-written by Peter Green.
A cover of the song was used in a drink-driving advertisement for a DOE campaign in 2000 and 2002.
- Peter Green – vocals, guitar
- Danny Kirwan – guitar
- John McVie – bass guitar
- Mick Fleetwood – drums
- Jeremy Spencer – vocals, guitar (B-side only)
- Norway – Immediate IM080, #4
- Ireland – Immediate IM080, #5
- South Africa – Immediate IMJ080, #11
- Netherlands – Immediate 5C 006-90134, #12
- Sweden – Immediate IM080, #12
- Germany – Immediate 1C 006-90134, #23
- USA –
- Also issued in Australia, France, Greece, Italy, Japan, New Zealand, Portugal and Spain on Immediate Records; Lebanon and Malaysia on Stateside Records and Yugoslavia on Jugoton.
- "Fleetwood Mac - Man Of The World (Vinyl)". Discogs.com. Retrieved 2016-10-02.
- Roberts, David (2006). British Hit Singles & Albums (19th ed.). London: Guinness World Records Limited. p. 205. ISBN 1-904994-10-5.
- "I Wish I Was in Love - The Lightning Seeds | Song Info". AllMusic. Retrieved 2016-10-02.
- Jon O'Brien (2008-09-29). ""10" - Midge Ure | Songs, Reviews, Credits". AllMusic. Retrieved 2016-10-02.