Management Development Institute of Singapore in Tashkent
Toshkentdagi Singapur Menejmentni Rivojlantirish Instituti
|Motto||Where lifelong learning begins|
|Established||5 September 2007|
|Chairman||Khamidov Bakhtiyar Sultanovich|
|Rector||Dr. Jasur Shavkatovich Salikhov|
|Director||Mr. Chua Chen Hou|
|Colors||Red, Black, Silver|
Management Development Institute of Singapore in Tashkent (MDIST), is one of the first international university branches opened in Uzbekistan. It was established to cover the high demand for professionals in various fields. Since its founding, it has trained more than 2000 graduates.
- 1 History
- 2 Founders
- 3 Administration
- 4 Education structure
- 5 General rules
- 6 Admissions
- 7 Location
- 8 Photo gallery
- 9 See also
- 10 References
- 11 External links
In January 2007, Uzbek President Islam Karimov was invited to Singapore by its President, S.R.Nathan, in order to discuss important international problems, and expand cooperation between two states. During his visit to Singapore, Karimov signed various documents which were aimed to deepen the two nations' cooperation in different spheres. One of the most important issues of the visit was discussion of education in Uzbekistan. The visit led to the establishment of Management Development Institute of Singapore in Tashkent on 5 September 2007, by Resolution of the President of the Republic of Uzbekistan, edict number PD-691.
University of Sunderland, UK programmes:
- BA (Hons) in Accounting and Finance
- BA (Hons) in Business and Management
- BA (Hons) in Business and Financial Management
- BA (Hons) in Marketing Management
- BA (Hons) in Fashion Product and Promotion
University of Bangor, UK programmes:
- BSc (Hons) in Banking & Finance
- BSc (Hons) in Industrial Management
- BSc (Hons) in International Hospitality and Tourism Management
- BSc (Hons) in Applied Travel, Tourism & Hospitality Management
- BSc (Hons) in Business and Economics
- BSc (Hons) in Finance, Investment and Risk Management
- BSc (Hons) in Computer Information Systems for Business
Academic processes, subjects and textbooks are fully organized in accordance with the principles and standards of the Management Development Institute of Singapore, and by the educational standards of the Republic of Uzbekistan. MDIST offers undergraduate and postgraduate programs, and they are recognized as documents of higher education in Uzbekistan, in Singapore, and in the rest of the world. Currently, there are more than 3,100 students at MDIST, from different regions of Uzbekistan and many other countries of Central Asia, such as Afghanistan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan and Kazakhstan. There are also some students from Ukraine and South Korea. MDIST has opened dormitories and hostels for these students.
The main campus of the Management Development Institute of Singapore in Tashkent is supplied with state-of-the-art classrooms, lecture halls, computer laboratories, a hospitality training center, tennis court, indoor swimming pool, volleyball court, football pitch, and gym. In all, the campus covers 5.2 hectares. It is fully supplied with Internet and wi-fi access, which allows the students to connect to the World Wide Web at any time. In addition to this, there are some inner facilities for the institute's web portal, which are:
- Webmail - all students receive notifications from the institute's official web application.
- Blackboard - allows the students to access a resource database and upload their assignments online
- Intranet - the Intranet system provides students with their attendance, progress information, and timetables. Timetables are changed every week.
MDIST has one of the biggest information resource centers among universities of Tashkent. Interested students can enter the information resource center at any time and use textbooks or read books which they are interested in. The center is fully supplied with computers and Internet access.
The main mission of the Institute is developing and training the professionals who has background of theoretical and practical knowledge on economy fields, and who will contribute their knowledge to economic development in Uzbekistan. The motto of the Institute is "LEARN", which has the meaning of:
- L – Lifelong learning
- E – Excellence
- A – Ability-driven
- R – Responsibility
- N – Nurture
The Management Development Institute of Singapore in Tashkent is a joint venture educational establishment which offers international recognized degrees. It is currently owned by two institutions, which are the Management Development Institute of Singapore and Uzbekistan Banking Association. They own the 51% and 49% of the institute respectively.
The Management Development Institute of Singapore in Tashkent cooperates with two international universities – the University of Sunderland and Bangor University (United Kingdom). After finishing the Foundation Program, all MDIST students are asked to choose one of the partner universities in order to accomplish their undergraduate and postgraduate studies.
Management Development Institute of Singapore in Tashkent has separated the teaching and academic staff into different parts and departments, which aids to control the Institute in global levels. University Administration of “Management Development Institute of Singapore in Tashkent” is separated hierarchically, and each unit has its own obligations and responsibilities. The University Administration of “Management Development Institute of Singapore in Tashkent” is given as follows:
- Office of the Rector – controlling unit of the “MDIST”, oversees all MDIST operations to ensure quality of services are maintained in its highest order.
- Law Office – represents the Institute in all legal matters.
- Marketing – raises awareness of “Management Development Institute of Singapore in Tashkent”.
- Department of Cooperation with International Educational Institutions – looks for the international partners, and seeks the investments for the Institute.
- Information center – helps any interested individuals to gain information regarding to the Institute.
Academic affairs of the Management Development Institute of Singapore in Tashkent consist of the units which are given as follows:
- Dean's Office – administrates academic matters at the “Management Development Institute of Singapore in Tashkent”.
- Lecturer Management Department – controls the “Management Development Institute of Singapore in Tashkent” faculty members, and teaching staff.
- Course Directors – oversees the academic matters connected to the “Partner Universities” of “Management Development Institute of Singapore in Tashkent”
- Product Development & Management – identifies new programs for “Management Development Institute of Singapore in Tashkent”.
- Preparatory Courses in English – holds English language courses for the non-native speakers of English and helps them to achieve their academic goals.
Admission & Student Administration
The Admission & Student Administration department of MDIST is mainly focused on admission procedures and student life. Its units are given as follows:
- Student Services Unit – supports and holds student activities.
- Central Planning Unit – administers the timetable at MDIST
- Central Registry – administers the applications and admission for the undergraduate and postgraduate programs.
- Examination Unit – controls the whole examination procedure at MDIST
- Career Center – supports the students and graduates in their career education.
Finance & Administration Department
- Accounting Department – controls the Institute's finances.
- Human Resource – administrates the employment policy.
- Quality Assurance – promotes quality excellence at “Management Development Institute of Singapore in Tashkent”.
- Learning Resource Center – provides the students with library services.
- Medical Center – gives emergency medical care services for students and staff.
- Multimedia Studio – controls the software and hardware tools in the Institute.
- Public Safety – ensures the highest standard of safety for all members of the “Management Development Institute of Singapore in Tashkent” and campus visitors.
- Management Information Systems – gives computing support and maintenance of all IT and telecommunication equipment for Institute faculty and administrative staff, and develops the software for the internal needs of MDIST.
- Training Center – provides lecturers with training in order to expand their qualifications.
Members of the Board of Directors
The Management Development Institute of Singapore in Tashkent is controlled by five individuals:
- Dr. Bakhtiyar Khamidov (Chairman of the Board)
- Dr. R. Theyvendran (Director)
- Mr. Chua Chen Hou (Director)
- Mr.Shareef bin Abdul Jaffar (Director)
- Mr.KhurshidAsrorov (Director).
Education Structure of the Management Development Institute of Singapore in Tashkent consists of three different programs, which are the Foundation Program, Undergraduate Program, and Postgraduate Program.
The Foundation Program is the first year of the studies and it is offered as a day program which could be completed in one year. The program consists of seven modules for two semesters. The first semester consists of three modules, and the second semester consists of four modules. The Foundation Program provides the students with structured program of studies which helps to improve their English language and communication skills. In addition, it gives a sound knowledge base in business studies, business concepts, encourages the development of a creative attitude, and motivates the participants to understand how the corporations and companies are managed.
The Undergraduate Program is given only to the students who have successfully graduated from the Foundation Program. It lasts three years, and is provided by two different partner universities. However, the list of programs remains the same each year, which means interested students are able choose one of the following undergraduate programs:
- BA Accounting and Finance
- BA Business and Management
- BA Business and Financial Management
- BA Business and Marketing Management
- BSc in International Tourism and Hospitality Management
- BSc in Applied Travel, Tourism and Hospitality Management
- BSc in Banking and Finance
- BSc in Industrial Management
- BSc in Business and Economics
- BSc in Finance, Investment and Risk
The Postgraduate Program is provided under one qualification, which is Master of Business Administration (MBA). Therefore, the qualification is divided into three specializations, which are: Finance, Marketing, and Hospitality Management. The study duration for full-time students is 15 months, and consists of eight modules for MBA Finance and MBA Marketing specializations. The MBA Hospitality Management specialization covers seven modules. To join the MBA programs, interested applicants must have finished an undergraduate program at any university.
Rules at the Management Development Institute of Singapore in Tashkent are set in order to provide the students with high standards of education. The greatest attention is given to students' attendance. Students must attend all of the lectures and classes in order to successfully pass their examinations. All students are provided with magnetic cards, which are used for entering the university and classes. This access control system controls the attendance statistics of the students, and provide them with safety. Other rules concern the behavior and dress code of the students. Students must take care of the tools and facilities which are provided by the institute. There is also an obligatory dress code.
The Management Development Institute of Singapore in Tashkent has set number of requirements for the interested applicants, according to which study programs they choose. The main requirements for the Foundation Program are given as follows:
- Interested applicants must have finished the Secondary Education level, with the average score which is not less than 4.0 and with minimum score of 4.0 from Mathematics.
- Interested applicants must have English language knowledge, and meet the minimum English requirements, which means they must have overall band of 5.5 in IELTS.
- Applicants who do not hold IELTS certificates must pass the English entrance examinations which are held by “Management Development Institute of Singapore in Tashkent”.
- Interested applicants must have completed at least one year of studies at any other recognized universities of Uzbekistan and international universities, with overall score which is not less than 4,0.
- Interested applicants must have obtained the IELTS score which is not less than 6,0.
Interested applicants for the MBA Programs at the “Management Development Institute of Singapore in Tashkent” must meet the general requirements of the admission, which are given as follows:
- They must have bachelor's degree with the minimum GPA of 2.5
- They must have the minimum score from IELTS which is equal to 6.0
- They must provide a Curriculum vitae to the Institute.
- Inha University in Tashkent
- Tashkent State Technical University
- Tashkent Institute of Irrigation and Melioration
- Tashkent Financial Institute
- Moscow State University in Tashkent named M.V Lomonosov
- Tashkent Automobile and Road Construction Institute
- Tashkent State University of Economics
- Tashkent State Agrarian University
- Tashkent State University of Law
- Tashkent University of Information Technologies
- University of World Economy and Diplomacy
- Westminster International University in Tashkent
- Article about the MDIST oliygoh.uz Retrieved 2 April 2016
- State visit of Islam Karimov to Singapore Retrieved 2 April 2016
- President of Uzbekistan Islam Karimov in Singapore Retrieved 2 April 2016
- About the MDIST mdis.uz Retrieved 2 April 2016
- About the MDIST in Uzbek Archived 2016-03-23 at the Wayback Machine. abituriyent.uz Retrieved 2 April 2016
- Missions and motto of MDIST mdis.uz Retrieved 2 April 2016
- About the MDIS mdis.uz Retrieved 2 April 2016
- Uzbekistan banking association at MDIST mdis.uz Retrieved 2 April 2016
- Founders of MDIS mdis.uz Retrieved 02.04.2016
- Partner Universities of MDIST Retrieved 2 April 2016
- MDIST administration mdis.uz Retrieved 02.04.2016
- Board of directors at MDIST Archived 2016-03-27 at the Wayback Machine. mdis.uz Retrieved 2 April 2016
- List of Programs mdis.uz Retrieved 02.04.2016
- Foundation Program at MDIS mdis.uz Retrieved 2 April 2016
- Undergraduate Program at MDIST mdis.uz Retrieved 2 April 2016
- Postgraduate program at MDIST mdis.uz Retrieved 2 April 2016
- General rules and regulations of MDIST mdis.uz Retrieved 2 April 2016
- Entrance requirements for MDIST mdis.uz Retrieved 2 April 2016