Management Science (journal)
|Edited by||David Simchi-Levi|
Institute for Operations Research and the Management Sciences (United States)
Management Science is a peer-reviewed academic journal that covers research on all aspects of management related to strategy, entrepreneurship, innovation, information technology, and organizations as well as all functional areas of business, such as accounting, finance, marketing, and operations. It is published by the Institute for Operations Research and the Management Sciences and was established in 1954 by the Institute's precursor, The Institute of Management Sciences. According to the Journal Citation Reports, the journal has an impact factor of 2.822.
On December 1, 1953 at the founding meeting at Columbia University, The Institute of Management Sciences was voted into existence and William Cooper was elected as the first president. Establishment of a journal, to be called Management Science, was made the first order of business. Almost immediately after the meeting, Cooper recruited C. West Churchman to be the founding editor. Cooper, Churchman, and Abe Charnes then wrote the policy statement for the journal. Within weeks Churchman had assembled an editorial board and had the first issue ready for distribution at the first membership meeting of the institute in October 1954.
C. West Churchman quickly built Management Science, both in size and reputation. By 1960 when he stepped down as editor, the journal was publishing almost twice as many papers per year as it had in the first volume. True to his vision, Churchman published papers representing a wide range of disciplines, from optimization, inventory, and game theory to management psychology, leadership, and the epistemology of science.[third-party source needed]
The following persons are, or have been, editors-in-chief:
- 2018–2020: David Simchi-Levi
- 2014–2018: Teck-Hua Ho
- 2009–2014: Gérard Cachon
- 2003–2008: Wallace Hopp
- 1997–2002: Hau L. Lee
- 1993–1997: Gabriel R. Bitran
- 1983–1990: Donald G. Morrison
- 1968–1983: Martin K. Starr
- 1960–1967: Robert M. Thrall
- 1954–1960: C. West Churchman
- Sharpe, William F. (1963). "A Simplified Model for Portfolio Analysis". Management Science. 9 (2): 277. doi:10.1287/mnsc.9.2.277.
- Harsanyi, John C. (1967). "Games with Incomplete Information Played by "Bayesian" Players, I–III: Part I. The Basic Model&". Management Science. 50 (12_supplement): 1804. doi:10.1287/mnsc.1040.0270.
- Bass, Frank M. (1969). "A New Product Growth for Model Consumer Durables". Management Science. 15 (5): 215. doi:10.1287/mnsc.15.5.215.
- "Management Science". 2016 Journal Citation Reports. Web of Science (Science ed.). Thomson Reuters. 2016.
- "History". Management Science. Institute for Operations Research and the Management Sciences. Retrieved 18 October 2014.
- "Google Scholar". Google. Archived from the original on 2009-09-03. Retrieved 2015-04-27.