Vanara Veera Maamadurai
|• Type||Town Panchayat|
|• Body||Town officers|
|Area rank||2(District second)|
|Elevation||81 m (266 ft)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Telephone code||914574 XX|
|Vehicle registration||TN 63|
- 1 Geography
- 2 Demographics
- 3 Highlights
- 4 Major Festival
- 5 Industry
- 6 Hospitals
- 7 Transport
- 8 Government Offices
- 9 Educational institutions
- 10 Tourist places
- 11 Temples
- 12 External links
- 13 References
Manamadurai is located at  The Vaigai river flows from north to south through Manamadurai and divides the town into Eastern bank and Western bank.. It has an average elevation of 81 metres.
As of 2011[update] India census, Manamadurai had a population of 32,257. Males constitute 50% of the population and Females 50%. Manamadurai has an average literacy rate of 77% : Male literacy is 82%, and Female literacy is 72%. In Manamadurai, 10% of the population is under six years of age.
Railway line between Rameswaram and Manamadurai became country's first green train corridor. This city is famous for manufacturing Ghatam musical instrument, Clay Pots, Clay Horse and Other clay items.
The 'Chithirai Thiruvizha' festival is celebrated every year in the Tamil month Chithirai for 10 days. The 'Sandanakoodu urus' festival is celebrated every year at Panjbeer Dargah.
The State Industries Promotion Corporation of Tamil Nadu (SIPCOT) Limited is situated in Sivagangai road, which is major employment source for people in and around Manamadurai..Manamadurai was famous for production of jasmine flowers. This industry has dwindled over time due to the destruction of gardens throughout the city. Bricks, Brick tiles and Pot making centres are major industries in Manamadurai.
Videocon Manufacturing unit
SIPCOT has allocated 70 acres (280,000 m2) of land to the India's No. 3 electronic goods seller Videocon near Manamadurai to set up its manufacturing unit for refrigerators, washing machines and television sets. Company had plans to introduce a battery assembly line at this facility. This industry is first of its kind in the volume of Rs.2,000 crore in south Tamil Nadu and comes as a boon to the skilled unemployed youth in South Tamil Nadu.
- Government Hospital, Thayamangalam Road
- Government Veterinary Hospital
- The Leprosy Mission Hospital , Dayapuram
- Dr. Jayapal Nursing Home
- Dr. Sivaraj Hospital
- Dr. Balammal Hospital
- Dr. Sundarajan Hospital
- Unnamalai Ammal Hospital
- Dr. Rathnakumar Hospital
The Manamadurai Bus terminus is situated at Western bank of the city close to Madurai - Rameswaram Highway. It is well connected to major cities like Madurai, Trichi, Chennai and Rameswaram.
The Manamadurai Junction railway station is situated in Southern part of the city at the Western Bank. It is a major stopping for all the trains running between Rameshwaram - Madurai, Rameswaram - Chennai and Virudhunagar - Karaikudi.
- Manamadurai Head post office, since 1972, a majestic departmental building in front of Gandhi statue in the eastern bank.
- Taluk Office, Thayapuram.
- Union Office, Udaikulam.
- Town Municipal Office, Central Market.
- Town Police Station, Kannar Street.
- Town Women Police Station, Annamalai nagar.
- Town Traffic Police Station, Sipcot.
- Taluk Police Station, Sipcot
- Deputy Superintendent of Police Office - Bypass, Manamadurai City
- Amirtha Nursing College
- Matha College of Teacher Education
- Seikalathur Kamatchi Amman Polytechnic College
- Apollo computer education ltd
- CSC Computer education ltd, near Ananthavalli amman kovil st.
- Sunsoft computers
- Baba Matriculation School, 1A, Mettu St.
- Baba Nursey & Primary school, 183-B, Adhanoor Road
- CSI High School for the deaf & dumb, Near Gandhi silai
- CSI High School, Near Travellers banglow,
- Govt. Elementary school, Burma colony
- Good Will Matriculation School, Bye Pass Road
- Govt. Girls Higher Secondary School, Near Travellers banglow, Anbu Nagar
- Kannar Theru Elementary School, Alagar kovil Theru
- Muthu Ameena Muslim (M.A.M) Nursery & Primary School, 113/7, Kannar Street
- O.V.C Elementary School
- O.V.C Higher Secondary School, Near Old Bus stand
- R.C. St. Cesilia's middle school
- R.C High School
- Ralay Nursery school, Moongiloorani
- St. Mary's higher secondary school, Rajagambiram
- St. Joseph matriculation school, Appan Perumal Kovil St., West Bank
- Seventh Day Adventist Nursery & Primary School, Rajam Nagar, Pappamadai, Muthanendal
- Seventh Day Adventist Matriculation Higher Secondary School, Sipcot
- Suriya Narayana Shastri Primary School, Near Pal Pannai, East Bank
Tourism industry is one of the major revenue generators for Manamadurai. There are various places of interest.
In the Perumal Temple, Hanuman is enshrined with the highly unusual feature of a crown on his head, reflecting the local belief that Hanuman was crowned here before leaving for Lanka. According to one account, the name of the town is derived from the Hanuman's visit, which in Tamil is described as Vanara Veera Madurai, which has become Manamadurai. The crowned Hanuman is enshrined near the entrance of the Vaishnavite Veera Alagar Koil temple on the east bank of the river.
Prithyangira Devi Temple
Panchabhutheswaram, known as Vedhiyanendal vilakku, 5 km from Manamadurai is on old ramanathapuram road, the route in which Lord Rama went to Sri Lanka to confront Ravanan. This place is known for its hard cut-rock(granite) temple dedicated to Shri Maha Panchamukha Prathyangira Devi. It houses the big deity of shri Maha Panchamukha Prathyangira Devi. There are two more sannidhies for Lakshmi Ganapathi and Sornagarshna Bhairavar. Kumbhabhishekham was performed on 24 June 2010. Sahasra Sandi Maha Yagnam was also performed during 25 June 2010 to 29 June 2010. It has come in a total area of about 5.5 acres (22,000 m2). Soon within the temple premises, ten more sannidhies are going to come for Dasamaha Vidya. Non-stop annadharmam right from 2000 since inception. Every Amavasai, people were various parts of Tamil Nadu and other states visit the temple
Anandavalli - Somanadhar Temple
Thirukalayanam festival is celebrated every year in this temple. Festival resembles the celebration done in Madurai Meenakshi amman temple. But Thirukalyanam will take place at early morning in Madurai and late evening in Manamadurai.
Alagar Aatril Irangudhal festival is also yearly event will take place after few days from Thirukalyanam.
Part of Indian ancient history, the 10 days festival is celebrated in the town, where people from Manamadurai and surroundings come to Vaigai river to participate overnight celebration. Notably Giant wheels, Children games, Dance events, Bike Stunts, Drama events, Crackers and Rockets - Thunder show.
Idaikattur is 16 km ahead of Manamadurai city. The site is famous for Thiru Iruthaya Andavar Church, which is believed to be built by angels of god.
This unique church of the sacred heart of Jesus was built in 1894 AD by a French missionary Fr. Ferdinand Celle SJ. This is a replica of the Rheims Cathedral in France. Since the church was said to be built by angels, Fr. Ferdinand Celle SJ has placed 153 depictions of angels in and around the church He has depicted the relics of forty saints in four elliptical shaped wooden bowls, which rest over the wooden heart in the main altar portion.
Thayamangalam Muthumariamman Temple
Thayamangalam situated near Manamadurai, known for yearly Panguni festival.
Saint Thirugnanasambandhar was invited to Madurai by Queen Pandimadevi Mangayarkarasi for the prosperity of Saivam religion. Saint Appar said that as the day of Sambandar's visit falls on star of Bharani and it is auspicious for travelling. Bharani is also the best time for Conducting homam and setting up brick kiln etc. as this day is suitable for Agni (fire). He started his travel after worshiping God and Goddess by singing Kolaru Padhipaggam. He fought for the freedom of Saivam against the Jainism. Based on the belief in the concept that "each day is a good day", he did Navasakthi Homam and Vinayaka Pooja on the 15th day of Panguni and celebrated 10 days festival from the 16th day of Panguni at Thayamangalam. Pongal festival is being celebrated on the 7th day ( 22nd day of Panguni), Milk pot festival and Flower Pallakku on the Panguni 23rd day. The festival will be completed on 25th day of Panguni after celebrating Devasthana Theertha vari function
The Holy Paanch peer (Anjanamar) Five Shuhadaas Dargah
|This section does not cite any sources. (January 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
The Panchpeer durgah is after Kannar Street and before Moongiloorani, on the Old Ramanathapuram road.
- "PCA Data by District/SubDistrict/Town/Village Name". Census Commission of India. Retrieved 2017-02-01.
- "Assembling Make in India's mobile dream".
- Reference from South India Tourist Guide