Manatee Palms Youth Services
|Manatee Palms Youth Services|
|Psychiatric Solutions, Inc.|
|Location||Bradenton, Florida, United States|
|Speciality||Child and Adolescent mental health|
|Lists||Hospitals in Florida|
The hospital is an Intensive Residential Treatment Facility accredited with the JCAHO and Medicaid. Most of the referrals it receives are from Florida Medicaid. It is a locked institution for male and female patients aged 6–17, with on-campus school and sports facilities. Its specialty populations presently has a children's unit, an adolescent male behavioral unit and a Female Behavioral Unit
The hospital changed hands twice in the decade 2000–2010. In 2000 it passed to Ramsay Youth Services, when the company acquired Charter Behavioral Health Systems of Manatee Palms and the corresponding real estate as a strategic investment. Then in 2003 Ramsay Youth Services was bought by Psychiatric Solutions.
Manatee Palms Youth Services has been required to cease admissions twice by the State of Florida due to widespread abuse and neglect. In April 2007, Manatee Palms instituted a voluntary moratorium on admissions, related to a state investigation into the hiring of staff members with criminal records, insufficient supervision of suicidal patients, and disintegrating physical facilities. Manatee Palms was fined $12,000 by the state, required to make millions of dollars worth of renovations, and to reduce its patient census to zero before reopening in May 2007.  
The facility has also been subject to media attention due to a number of incidents and lawsuits related to accusations that employees engaged in acts of sexual misconduct, employment of a sex offender accused of engaging in sexual misconduct, and accusations that employees used excessive force with patients.
- U.S. News; World Report (June 2009), "Manatee Palms Youth Services Details", U.S. News & World Report Health
- Ramsay Youth Services, Inc. Announces The Acquisition Of Charter Behavioral Health System Of Manatee Palms, LP.
- "Ramsay Youth Services, Inc. Form 10-K for the year ended December 21, 2001" (DOC). p. 18.
On August 4, 2000, the Company consummated the acquisition of the operating assets of Charter Behavioral Health System of Manatee Palms, L.P. ("Manatee Palms System") and the corresponding real estate from Charter Behavioral Health Systems, LLC and Crescent Real Estate Funding VII, L.P. The Manatee Palms System consists of two facilities which the Company manages under its Owned Operations and one managed contract which the Company manages under its Management Contract Operations.
- "Ramsay Youth Services Inc acquires Charter Behavioral Health-Bran from Magellan Health Services Inc".
Ramsay Youth Services Inc acquired the Manatee Palms, Florida branch of Charter Behavioral Health System [...]
- Wolfrum, Timothy (2010-05-06), "State slams Manatee Palms psychiatric hospital", Bradenton Herald, McClatchy, retrieved 2010-05-13
- "Youth mental hospital shuttered amid violations", Miami Herald, 2007-05-12, retrieved 2010-05-13
- Wortham, April (2010-05-06), "Psychiatric Solutions in trouble in Florida", Nashville Business Journal, retrieved 2010-05-13
- "Propublica acquired document" (PDF). Retrieved 2010-11-01.
- "Manatee Palms Youth Services". FloridaHealthFinder.gov. Retrieved 2010-05-13.
- "Treatment Center Sued Over Lascivious Actions". The Bradenton Herald, November 16, 1991.
- "Counselor Accused in Sex Case". The Bradenton Herald, February 9, 1994.
- "Bradenton Man Charged in Rape". The Bradenton Herald, April 17, 1997.
- "Bradenton Herald - October 2004 - Woman admits to molesting teen at youth center". Nl.newsbank.com. 2004-10-23. Retrieved 2010-11-01.
- "Man Arrested on Sex Charges". The Bradenton Herald, August 6, 2003
- "Battery Reported at Manatee Palms". The Bradenton Herald, October 22, 1996.
- "Bradenton Herald - February 2009 - Area Youth Service Center Being Sued". Nl.newsbank.com. 2009-02-18. Retrieved 2010-11-01.