Manathil Uruthi Vendum
|Manathil Uruthi Vendum|
|Directed by||K. Balachander|
|Produced by||Rajam Balachander|
|Written by||K. Balachander|
S. P. Balasubrahmanyam
|Cinematography||R. Raghunatha Reddy|
|Edited by||Ganesh – Kumar|
|Distributed by||Kavithalayaa Productions|
|19 October 1987|
Manathil Uruthi Vendum (transl. The heart needs to be strong) is a 1987 Indian Tamil language drama film directed by K. Balachander starring Suhasini, S. P. Balasubrahmanyam, Ramesh Aravind, Sridhar, Vivek, Lalitha Kumari, Chithra, Chandrakanth and Yamuna.
This is the story of Nandini, a nurse, played by Suhasini. She is the sole bread winner of her huge family including six siblings and unemployed parents, and she faces many hurdles in her life including a divorce, loss of a brother, an eloped sister, a failed second romance and an organ donation. She handles them with dignity and wins the hearts of one and all including her suspicious ex-husband when she donates him her kidney. S. P. Balasubrahmanyam plays the role of a dedicated Doctor, who inspires Nandini to take the ultimate decision in life to continue serving her patients.
- Suhasini as Nandhini
- Sridhar as Suriya
- S. P. Balasubrahmanyam as Dr. Arthanari
- Ramesh Aravind as Ramesh (Debut)
- Vivek as Vivek (Debut)
- Lalitha Kumari as Vasu (Debut)
- Ganeshkar as Ganesh
- Kavithalaya Krishnan as Gothandam
- Charle as Patient (Guest appearance)
- Poovilangu Mohan as Patient (Guest appearance)
- Director Vasanth as Reporter (Guest appearance)
- Special appearance in "Vangaala Kadale" song
While assisting with the script for the film in 1987, Balachandar offered Vivek an acting role of Suhasini's brother in the film, which he decided to pursue thus made his acting debut in the film. Recalling his experience: "I remember the first day of my shooting [..] I was asked to come running down the stairs. I did the shot to his satisfaction. But in doing so I hurt my toes. But I did not want to show it to him. But after a few minutes the blood was oozing from the wound. KB sir saw it and asked me immediately to attend to it".
|Manathil Uruthi Vendum|
|Soundtrack album by|
|1.||"Manathil Uruthi Vendum"||K. J. Yesudas||4:19|
|2.||"Kannin Maniyae"||K. S. Chitra||4:49|
|3.||"Kannaa Varuvaayaa"||K. J. Yesudas, K. S. Chitra||5:33|
|4.||"Aachchi Aachchi"||Mano, K. S. Chitra||3:06|
|5.||"Sangathamizh Kaviye"||K. J. Yesudas, K. S. Chitra||4:31|
|6.||"Vangaala Kadale"||K. J. Yesudas||2:52|
- Manathil Uruthi Vendum, IMDb, retrieved 21 December 2008
- "YouTube". Youtube.com. Retrieved 23 April 2019.
- "Vivek, comedy artiste". The New Indian Express. Retrieved 23 April 2019.
- "The Hindu : Tamil Nadu News : I am basically serious but outwardly humorous: Vivek". Thehindu.com. Retrieved 23 April 2019.