|League||National Basketball League|
Palmerston North Jets
|Location||Palmerston North, Manawatu, New Zealand|
|Team colours||Green, white, black|
|Main sponsor||Go Media|
|General manager||Piers Finch|
|Head coach||Tim McTamney|
The Manawatu Jets are a New Zealand basketball team based in Palmerston North. The Jets compete in the National Basketball League (NBL) and play their home games at Arena Manawatu. For sponsorship reasons, they are known as the Go Media Jets.
The Manawatu Jets, then known as Palmerston North, were one of eight foundation sides for the National Basketball League's inaugural season in 1982, but after finishing last, they were demoted to the Conference Basketball League (CBL). They spent the next two years in the CBL, and after finishing as runners-up in 1984, they were readmitted to the NBL in 1985. However, they were demoted to the CBL again for the 1988 season after finishing last in 1987. After winning the CBL title in 1988, the team was back in the NBL for the 1989 season. The 1989 season marked the team's best regular-season campaign in their history, finishing the year as minor premiers; they were subsequently defeated in the Semi-finals by the fourth-seeded Canterbury Rams and finished with an overall win/loss record of 15–4. In 1992, the Jets made it to their first and so far only NBL Grand Final, where they were defeated 79–71 by the Rams.
In November 2015, the Jets withdrew from the NBL. The decision was made by the Jets' board after a review of the organisation came to the conclusion that they had a fledgeling club structure. In April 2017, the Jets lodged their application to Basketball New Zealand to compete in the 2018 NBL season. Their application was successful, and on 29 August 2017, the Jets were readmitted into the league.
|Manawatu Jets roster|
Updated: 7 July 2018
Notable past players
- Historical debt and reduced trust funding forcing Jets to take a season out
- Egan, Brendon (4 April 2014). "Keith Mair reflects on Rams' halcyon days". Stuff.co.nz. Retrieved 27 October 2015.
- Jets History
- Manawatu Jets out of 2016 basketball league
- Manawatu Jets Out Of 2016 NBL
- Manawatu Jets throw their hat in the ring for 2018
- NZ NBL AGREE TO THE RETURN OF MANAWATU JETS IN 2018
- Manawatu Jets cleared for takeoff in National Basketball League
- Hokianga sent off in style, Manawatu turn it on