Manbij Revolutionaries Battalion
|Manbij Revolutionaries Battalion|
|Syrian Civil War|
Flag of the battalion.
|Headquarters||Manbij, Aleppo Governorate|
|Area of operations||Aleppo Governorate|
|Battles and wars|
The Manbij Revolutionaries Battalion (Arabic: كتائب ثوار منبج, Kurdish: Suwar el-Minbic, Turkish: Manbij Devrimci Taburları) is a Syrian militia that is part of the Syrian Democratic Forces' Manbij Military Council and operates in the Aleppo Governorate. Members of the unit have declared that their primary goal is to drive the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) from the region, and to establish a democratic, inclusionist Syria.
The exact foundation and origin of the group are known; it first appeared upon the foundation of the Manbij Military Council on 2 April 2016. The group has recruited Syrian Turkmen into its ranks.
On 4 February 2017, 100 fighters completed their training at the Martyr Faysal Abu Layla Academy at Manbij, joining the Manbij Revolutionaries Battalion, and by extension, the Manbij Military Council. On 21 February, unidentified gunmen killed five commanders of the unit in the village of Al-Awsajly, west of Manbij.
In early March, as fighting between the Syrian Democratic Forces and the Turkish-backed forces escalated in the western Manbij countryside, the SDF made a deal with the Assad government. Accordingly, the SDF handed over a number of villages in the area to the Syrian Army, so that the Turkish forces could no longer attack them. On 6 March 2016, Manbij Revolutionaries Battalion commander Ahmad Arsh appeared in a Russia Today video, dressed like a member of the Syrian Armed Forces and with a Syrian government flag in the background. He claimed to be a commander of the Syrian Border Police, and that he and his men had taken control of the villages in question.
- It is unknown when the group was founded; it first appeared on 2 April 2016, as founding member of the Manbij Military Council.
- "Clashes break out in Ghouta of Damascus and in Dar'a; Al-Sham Legion forms Al-Shamal Brigade in Aleppo". Revolutionary Forces of Syria Media Office. 30 January 2016.
- "Minbic military assembly established". Hawar News Agency. 3 April 2016.
- "Turkmen fighters: We will liberate Minbic". ANF News. 15 April 2016.
- "A Border Police of Assad regime? or a commander in SDF factions?". Verify. 6 March 2017.
- "Mıstefa Minbic: It is impossible for ISIS gangs to escape". ANF News. 19 June 2016.
- "80% of Manbij is liberated, 50 thousand civilians freed". Hawar News Agency. 2 August 2016.
- "Turkmen Commander: Manbij operation an initiative for joint and free life". Firat News Agency. 11 August 2016.
- "They achieved victory they are stars do not disappear". Hawar News Agency. 17 August 2018.
- "100 fighters join the Manbij Military Council". Hawar News Agency. 4 February 2017.
- Erdoğan Altan (3 April 2016). "Manbij Military Council: Manbij Will Soon Be Liberated From ISIS Oppression". The Rojava Report.
- "#Syria - Five commanders of YPG-affiliated Arab group assassinated". Yalla Souriya. 4 February 2017.