|• Total||35.92 km2 (13.87 sq mi)|
|Elevation||147 m (482 ft)|
|• Density||2,400/km2 (6,300/sq mi)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
Mancherial is a town and district head quarter of Mancherial district (Old Adilabad District) of the Indian state of Telangana. It is the administrative headquarters of Mancherial mandal in Mancherial revenue division, situated on the north banks of Godavari River.
As of 2011 census of India, Mancherial has a population of 86,911. Males constitute 51% of the total population and females 49%. Mancherial has an average literacy rate of 75.71%, higher than the national average : male literacy is 83.16%, and female literacy is 67.92%. In Mancherial, 8% of the population is under 6 years of age.
Government and politics
Mancherial Municipality was constituted in 1956 and is classified as a first grade municipality with 32 election wards. The jurisdiction of the civic body is spread over an area of 35.92 km2 (13.87 sq mi).
- Nadipelli Divakar Rao – MLA, Telangana Rashtra Samithi
- Balka Suman – MP, Telangana Rashtra Samithi
- Municipal Chairperson – M Vasundhara, Telangana Rashtra Samithi
- Municipal Vice Chairperson – Nalla Shankar, Telangana Rashtra Samithi
There are 2 Villages in the Mancherial Mandal.
|Sl.No.||Name of the Mandal||Villages in the Mandal|
Places of interest
Visiting places in and around Mancherial:
- Pranahita Wild Life Sanctuary (at Chennur)
- Kawal wild life Sanctuary (at Jannaram)
- Shivvaram wild life Sanctuary ( at Jaipur- Shivvaram Village)
- Godavari River ( Sammaka & Sarallama Temple)
- Yellampalli Reservoir constructed on Godavari River (6 km from Mancherial)
- Kadem Project
- Sai Baba temple
- Govinda kshetram (Sri Venkateswara Swamy Temple) at Gudipet.
- Gudem (Satyanarayana Swamy, Ayyappa temples)
- Ramagiri Khila
- Gaandhari Khila, ACC
- Mahankaali Jathara, ACC
- Velala Shiva Ratri Jatara
- ACC Quarry ( Now MCC Picnic spot)
Mancherial is well connected by road and rail from major parts of India. There is an unused airstrip at Basant Nagar Kesoram cement factory at Ramagundam which is about 25 km from Mancherial. It was used when the government of India was operating Vayudoot airlines, a subsidiary of Air India and Indian Airlines. After the closure of Vayudoot, it has not been in regular use.
Mancherial is well connected by road from major parts of India. State run TSRTC buses runs to various towns/cities like, Adilabad, Karimnagar, Jagtial, Warangal, Nizamabad, Hyderabad, Guntur, Vijayawada, Nagpur, Shirdi, Mumbai, Nanded, Aurangabad and Chandrapur. It is connected with SH1,NH63 and Nagpur highway.
National Highway 16 (Nizamabad to Jagdalpur) passes through Mancherial. Rajeev Rahadari Hyderabad-Karimnagar-Asifabad road passes through Mancherial, which is the shortest route to reach Hyderabad via Godavarikhani, Karimnagar, Siddipet.
Mancherial is located on the longest railway line, which is called the Grand Trunk line (New Delhi-Chennai). It is well connected by rail from various towns/cities in India. It comes under South Central Railways. It is a good potential station to have stoppage due its urban population as well as proximity to other major towns like Mandamarri (14 km), Bellampally (21 km), Ramagundam (Godavarikhani) (20 km), Luxettipet (26 km), Ramkrishnapur (8 km), Chennur (40 km).
Mancherial is one of the A category stations of Secunderabad division.
- "Basic Information of Municipality". Mancherial Municipality. Retrieved 28 June 2016.
- "Elevation for Mancherial". Veloroutes. Retrieved 5 August 2014.
- "Census 2011". The Registrar General & Census Commissioner, India. Retrieved 25 July 2014.
- "Adilabad District Mandals" (PDF). Census of India. p. 98. Retrieved 28 January 2016.
- "District Census Handbook – Adilabad" (PDF). Census of India. pp. 13–14, 44. Retrieved 22 September 2015.
- "Schedule - II Reorganization Of Mandals In Mancherial District". http://www.districtsinfo.com. Retrieved 10 March 2017. External link in
- "Visiting Places Near Mancherial". https://en.wikivoyage.org. Retrieved 9 March 2017. External link in
||Kaghaznagar, Telangana||Gadchiroli district|
|Nirmal, Telangana||Chennur, Sironcha, Gadchiroli district of Maharashtra|
|Choppadandi, Telangana||Godavarikhani, Ramagundam, Karimnagar, Hyderabad, Telangana|