It is located in close proximity to the Houston Ship Channel and many chemical plants.
The State of Texas concluded that, since 2000, the area had the highest annual averages of 1,3-Butadiene of any area in Texas. On May 27, 2005 the State opened a pollution monitor in Manchester.
Government and infrastructure
Manchester is within the Houston Independent School District. Zoned schools include:
- Manchester, Texas (Harris County) from the Handbook of Texas Online
- "State Results: Pollution Glance." Houston Chronicle.
- "Area residents welcome state pollution monitor / Manchester's air will be tested round-the-clock." Houston Chronicle. (Alternate version ).
- City of Houston, Council District Maps, District I Archived 2013-09-18 at the Wayback Machine.." City of Houston. Retrieved on November 5, 2011.
- "J. R. Harris Elementary Attendance Zone Archived 2008-06-26 at the Wayback Machine.." Houston Independent School District.
- "Deady Middle Attendance Zone Archived 2007-09-30 at the Wayback Machine.." Houston Independent School District.
- "Milby High School Attendance Zone Archived 2011-07-26 at the Wayback Machine.." Houston Independent School District.