Manchester Platting (UK Parliament constituency)
|Former Borough constituency
for the House of Commons
|Number of members||one|
|Replaced by||Manchester Cheetham and Manchester Clayton|
|Created from||Manchester North|
Manchester Platting was a parliamentary constituency in Manchester. It returned one Member of Parliament (MP) to the House of Commons of the Parliament of the United Kingdom, elected by the first past the post system.
The constituency was created as a result of the Report of the Boundary Commission in 1917, when it was recommended to be called "Manchester Collyhurst". However, when the Representation of the People Bill to give effect to the Commission's recommendations was debated in Parliament, the Government accepted an amendment to change the name to Platting. The new constituency came into effect at the 1918 general election. It was abolished for the 1950 general election.
Although Parliament changed the name proposed by the Boundary Commission, they kept the boundaries as recommended. The constituency was defined as the Collyhurst, Harpurhey and Miles Platting municipal wards of the County Borough of Manchester, together with the part of the St Michael's municipal ward which was not included in the Exchange division. The St Michael's ward was divided along the Rochdale Road, the small area to the south-west including the High Street area being excluded.
Members of Parliament
|1918||J. R. Clynes||Labour|
|1935||J. R. Clynes||Labour|
Election in the 1910s
|Labour||J. R. Clynes||Unopposed|
|Labour win (new seat)|
Elections in the 1920s
|Labour||J. R. Clynes||15,683||48.5||N/A|
|Unionist||Frank Henry Holmes||14,814||45.8||N/A|
|Labour||J. R. Clynes||17,078||54.8||+6.3|
|Unionist||Frank Henry Holmes||14,099||45.2||−0.6|
|Labour||J. R. Clynes||17,233||49.2||−5.6|
|Unionist||Frank Henry Holmes||16,228||46.4||+1.2|
|Labour||J. R. Clynes||22,969||57.9||+8.2|
Elections in the 1930s
|Labour||J. R. Clynes||17,798||43.0||−14.9|
|Conservative gain from Labour||Swing||+15.5|
|Labour||J. R. Clynes||18,352||51.9||+8.9|
|Labour gain from Conservative||Swing||+8.9|
Election in the 1940s
- Craig, F. W. S. (1983) . British parliamentary election results 1918-1949 (3rd ed.). Chichester: Parliamentary Research Services. ISBN 0-900178-06-X.
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "P" (part 1)
- "Parliamentary Borough of Manchester" in Schedule part II of "Report of the Boundary Commission (England and Wales), 1917", Cd. 8756.
- "Parliament", The Times, 30 November 1917, p. 12.
- Craig, F.W.S., ed. (1969). British parliamentary election results 1918-1949. Glasgow: Political Reference Publications. p. 191. ISBN 0-900178-01-9.