Manchester Township High School
|Manchester Township High School|
|101 South Colonial Drive
Manchester, NJ 08759
|Type||Public high school|
|Motto||"Excellence by Example"|
|School district||Manchester Township School District|
|Principal||R. Dennis Adams|
|Vice principals||Stacie Ferrara
|Enrollment||997 (as of 2014-15)|
|Student to teacher ratio||11.3:1|
Royal blue and|
|Athletics conference||Shore Conference|
Manchester Township High School is a four-year comprehensive public high school that serves students in ninth through twelfth grades in Manchester Township in Ocean County, New Jersey, United States, as the lone secondary school of the Manchester Township School District. The school also serves approximately 150 high school students from Lakehurst Borough, who attend as part of a sending/receiving relationship with the Lakehurst School District.
As of the 2014-15 school year, the school had an enrollment of 997 students and 88.3 classroom teachers (on an FTE basis), for a student–teacher ratio of 11.3:1. There were 233 students (23.4% of enrollment) eligible for free lunch and 64 (6.4% of students) eligible for reduced-cost lunch.
Awards, recognition and rankings
The school was the 220th-ranked public high school in New Jersey out of 339 schools statewide in New Jersey Monthly magazine's September 2014 cover story on the state's "Top Public High Schools", using a new ranking methodology. The school had been ranked 245th in the state of 328 schools in 2012, after being ranked 260th in 2010 out of 322 schools listed. The magazine ranked the school 227th in 2008 out of 316 schools. The school was ranked 256th in the magazine's September 2006 issue, which surveyed 316 schools across the state.
Manchester Township High School Hawks compete in the Shore Conference, an athletic conference made up of private and public high schools centered at the Northern Jersey Shore. All schools in this conference are located within Monmouth County and Ocean County, and the league operates under the jurisdiction of the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association (NJSIAA). With 724 students in grades 10-12, the school was classified by the NJSIAA for the 2015-16 school year as South Jersey, Group II for most athletic competition purposes, which included schools with an enrollment of 496 to 778 students in that grade range.
The boys' track team won the Group II state championship in 1998.
The boys bowling team won the overall state championship in 2003 and won the Group II state championship in 2010.
On October 17, 2013, the school's freshman cross country team won the Ocean County Cross Country Freshmen race (2-mile course) with a record setting team average of 10:54.71, the fastest in meet history.
Core members of the school's administration are:
- R. Dennis Adams, Principal
- Stacie Ferrara, Vice Principal
- Keith Lister, Athletic Director/Vice Principal
- Tracey Raimondo, Vice Principal
- Kevin Malast (born 1986), former football linebacker who played in the NFL for the Chicago Bears, Jacksonville Jaguars and Tennessee Titans.
- Andrew Valmon (born 1965), Olympic gold medal-winning runner in both 1988 and 1992 in the 4x400 meters relay.
- School data for Manchester Township High School, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed December 12, 2016.
- Manchester Township High School, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed May 30, 2016.
- About Our School District, Manchester Township School District. Accessed August 14, 2014. "We are also the receiving district for approximately 150 high school students from neighboring Lakehurst Borough."
- Staff. "Top Schools Alphabetical List 2014", New Jersey Monthly, September 2, 2014. Accessed September 5, 2014.
- Staff. "The Top New Jersey High Schools: Alphabetical", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2012. Accessed August 22, 2012.
- Staff. "2010 Top High Schools", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2010. Accessed February 9, 2011.
- "Top New Jersey High Schools 2008: By Rank", New Jersey Monthly, September 2008, posted August 7, 2008. Accessed March 9, 2011.
- School Info, Shore Conference. Accessed March 9, 2008.
- League Memberships – 2015-2016, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed May 30, 2016.
- General Public School Classifications 2015-2016, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association, as of December 15, 2015. Accessed December 12, 2016.
- History of the NJSIAA Indoor Relay Championships, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed December 27, 2016.
- History of NJSIAA Boys Bowling Championships, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed December 27, 2016.
- Contact Information, Manchester Township High School. Accessed October 20, 2014.
- Kevin Malast, Tennessee Titans. Accessed July 27, 2016. "The Manchester, N.J., native was originally signed by the Chicago Bears as a rookie free agent on April 27, 2009.... Attended Manchester (N.J.) High School, where he played both linebacker and tailback."
- Denman, Elliott. "New Jersey's Andrew Valmon named Olympic coach", MileSplitNy. February 18, 2011. Accessed July 27, 2016. "The 20-something young man was Andrew Valmon, the graduate of Manchester Township High School, just a few miles east of Lakehurst, and of South Orange, NJ's Seton Hall University, who'd run a sizzling 4x400 relay leadoff leg in the semifinals at Seoul (thus earning a gold when USA took the final.)"
- Manchester Township High School
- Manchester Township School District
- Manchester Township High School's 2014–15 School Report Card from the New Jersey Department of Education
- Data for Manchester Township High School, National Center for Education Statistics
- DigitalSports Manchester Homepage