Mandalika Resort Area
Mandalika Resort Area
Seaside Resort area
|Region||Lesser Sunda Islands|
|Province||West Nusa Tenggara|
Mandalika Resort Area is an under-construction integrated resort area in the Central Lombok Regency, Lombok Island, Indonesia. It is designated as a Special Economic Zone (KEK) on Mandalika Beach, which stretches from the edge of Kuta (Lombok) the south coast of Lombok, and stretches along the coastline towards surfing spot Grupuk village of Central Lombok Regency. The Mandalika Resort area is approximately a 40 minute drive from Lombok International Airport. It was inaugurated by Indonesian President Joko Widodo on 20 October 2017.
Indonesian Government sold Mandalika to the Dubai Development Corporation for US$ 240 million in 2007. However, due to the global financial crisis in 2008 and funding dwindled, the Emirates had no choice but to sell Mandalika back to the Indonesian government for half of the buying price. Then-Indonesian President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono officiated at the groundbreaking ceremony of the Mandalika resort development project on 21 October 2011. Six Memorandums of Understanding (MoU) on the development of the site were signed in conjunction with the groundbreaking ceremony. The proposal to grant special economic zone status to Mandalika resort area was based upon Law No. 30/2011 of the regulations covering Special Economic Zones and included in Government Regulation Number 2/2011 (on the Implementation of the Special Economic Zones).
The Mandalika Resort Development Project is planned to be undertaken in an area of about 1,200 hectares site in Kuta, Pujut sudistrict and has a projected value of US$3 billion, which include approx 7.5 kilometers of white-sand beaches. Plans have been detailed for hotel, villa and a high end resort projects. A Formula One circuit, a plenary room for concert events, a seaport for excursions and other ships, and an integrated Disneyland styled theme park, an underwater park, golf course, mangrove park, eco park, and a technical park have also been proposed. Mandalika resort area is managed by Bali Tourism Development Corporation (BTDC), which has 5 beaches in southern part of Lombok, namely Kuta Beach, Serenting Beach, Aan Cape, Keliuw Beach and Gerupuk Beach. The area is 1,179 hectares will be divided in 3 zones:
- luxury residentials in the west part
- hotels, villas and public utilities in the central part
- exclusive hotels and villas in the east part
- Pullman Hotel- 270 rooms, and its construction had begun in October 2017.
- Royal Tulip Hotel- 198 rooms, was conducted on 26 March 2018.
- X2 Hotel- 240 rooms,
- Club Med Hotel- 350 rooms,
- Grand Mercure Hotel- 342 rooms,
- Aloft by Marriot Hotel, 173 rooms.
- Paramount Lombok Resort and Residences is being constructed on a plot of land measuring 7.65 hectares. The hotel with 1500 rooms would be operated by hospitality firm Paramount Hotels and Resorts, which is expected to be completed in 2020.
Vinci Grand Projects, a subsidiary of France-based Vinci Group, is also interested in building the Mandalika Street Circuit, a venue for the world-class MotoGP race. The sports cluster and entertainment project, measuring 120 hectares, will include the construction of seven hotels, convention center, hospital, and other facilities for accommodation of international standard.As part of the conservation maintenance, the lush green hills that provide the stunning backdrop to the Mandalika Resort area will be set aside as a conservation area of over 3000 hectares. This area is home to many native species and will only be available for low impact activities such as cycling or hiking in order to minimize damage to the endemic flora and fauna.
- "President launches Mandalika economic zone". The Jakarta Post. Retrieved 18 April 2018.
- "Jokowi Resmikan Kawasan Ekonomi Khusus Mandalika". Kompas. Retrieved 18 April 2018.
- "Mandalika being developed into world tourist resort". 18 April 2018.
- "Why the Indonesian Tourism will Get a Boost with The Mandalika Project and why you should invest in it Now !". Invest Islands. 2017-03-27. Retrieved 2018-04-18.
- "West Nusa Tenggara tourism improves after Mandalika KEK launch". The Jakarta Post. Retrieved 18 April 2018.
- "SEZ Mandalika set to attract 2m foreign tourists per year". The Jakarta Post. Retrieved 18 April 2018.
- "PP Properti to develop luxury hotel in West Nusa Tenggara economic zone". The Jakarta Post. Retrieved 28 July 2018.
- "Rini Soemarno officiates groundbreaking ceremony of Paramount Hotel in Mandalika". Antara News. Retrieved 19 April 2018.
- "Kawasan Wisata Mandalika Lombok siap dibangun". 18 April 2018.
- "Dorna and ITDC set to bring MotoGP™ to Indonesia". motogp.com. 23 February 2019. Retrieved 23 February 2019.