Mandarin Oriental, New York
|Mandarin Oriental, New York|
View of Time Warner Center from Central Park West
|Location||80 Columbus Circle at 60th St.
Manhattan, New York City
|Management||Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group|
|Design and construction|
|Architect||Brennan Beer Gorman, Architects, LLC|
|Number of rooms||202|
|Number of suites||46|
|Number of restaurants||2|
Mandarin Oriental, New York, is a five-star hotel located in Manhattan's Time Warner Center at Columbus Circle in New York City, managed by Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group. A part of the multi-use Time Warner Center development, the hotel opened its doors in December 2003. In addition to the 248 guestrooms and suites, the hotel provides services for 64 residences. The hotel has received many national and international awards, and operates the only Forbes Five-Star spa in Manhattan.
The Mandarin Oriental is located more than 280 feet (85 m) above ground in the north tower of the Time Warner Center at Columbus Circle. The Time Warner Center contains 2,800,000 sq ft (260,000 m2) of mixed-use space and is to date the largest such development in New York City history. In addition to the hotel and private condominiums, the complex includes The Shops at Columbus Circle, numerous upscale restaurants, Time Warner’s headquarters, CNN live broadcast production studios, office and residential space, and a 100,000-square-foot (9,300 m2) performance hall for Jazz at Lincoln Center.
Vivienne Tam, a noted New York fashion designer, designed the hotel’s signature fan, a modern fan displayed in the hotel lobby. Dale Chihuly created two glass pieces installed in the hotel. The first is a chandelier, created in a unique collaboration with Waterford Crystal, weighing approximately 2,100 pounds and comprising 683 hand blown glass and crystal pieces. The second installation, located in the 35th floor lobby, is Chihuly’s first foray into glass gardens.
A 250-year-old parchment calligraphy book, conveying a story of happiness and good fortune, and a collection of carved ornaments from furnishings of the same period are housed in the Presidential Suite
The Spa is one of only two Forbes Five-Star spas in Manhattan (The other is the Peninsula New York Spa), is located on the 35th and 36th floors of the hotel and spans 14,500 sq ft (1,350 m2). It offers traditional treatments, such as massages, manicures and pedicures in addition to a list of unique signature therapies, including a vitamin infused facial, the “Clearing Factor” and a Thai yoga massage.
Restaurants and bars
- Asiate: contemporary cuisine with Asian influences on the 35th floor overlooking Central Park
- Lobby Lounge: coffee, cocktails, light fare and a traditional afternoon tea with views of the city skyline
- MObar: a contemporary bar inspired by designs of New York City apartments in the 1930s and 1940s
Additional services and facilities
- Fitness center and indoor pool: a 6,000 sq ft (560 m2) fitness center and 75-foot (23 m) lap pool
- Meeting and event space: a 6,000 sq ft (560 m2) pillar-less ballroom overlooking Central Park and three executive meeting rooms
The Residences at Mandarin Oriental, New York are a collection of 64 condominiums located directly above the hotel on floors 64–80. The individual units range from 1,000 sq ft (93 m2) to full-floor apartments with over 8,000 sq ft (740 m2) of private space. The full-service apartments have complete access to the hotel’s amenities & services – including the concierge, housekeeping, room service and fitness center.
- Top 50 Large Hotels in US/Canada (Travel + Leisure World’s Best Awards, August 2009)
- Top Mainland US Hotels (Celebrated Living Platinum List, Summer 2009)
- One of the Best Hotels in the World (Travel + Leisure Guide to The World’s Best Hotels, January 2009)
- One of the World’s Best Places to Stay (Condé Nast Traveler Gold List, January 2009)
- Asiate selected No. 1 in Décor (Zagat Survey New York City Restaurants, 2008, 2009, 2010)
- Asiate selected “Forbes 2008 All-Star Eatery” in New York City (Forbes, December 2008)
- Asiate selected best restaurant for a “Power Breakfast” in New York City (New York Magazine, June 2008)
- The Spa recognized as a Top Hotel Spa in The Americas & Caribbean (Condé Nast Traveller Spa Awards (UK), February 2008)
- Mandarin Oriental, New York, awarded the Five Diamond Award (AAA, November 2008)
- Mandarin Oriental, New York, and The Spa received the Five-Star Award (Forbes Travel Guide, 2010)