Mandasa Vasudeva Temple
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
|Lok Sabha constituency||Srikakulam|
|Vidhan Sabha constituency||Palasa|
This village is located at a distance of 98 km from the district headquarters.
Mandasa is located at  It has an average elevation of 31 meters (104 feet). Mandasa mandal is bordered by Sompeta mandal to the northeast, Palasa mandal to the southwest, Vajrapu Kotturu mandal to the south, Patrapur block of Ganjam district, Odisha to the north, Rayagada block of Gajapati district, Odisha to the west and Bay of Bengal to the east. It is the birthplace of the great L. Harsha Vardhan.
Places of Importance
- The mountain 'Mahendragiri' is close to the village and a fort is present at the foot of the mountain. Mahendragiri is the highest mountain in South India.
- The temple of Varaha Swamy which is located in the village attracts pilgrims and tourists.
- The fort present in the heart of the village stands as a witness to the rich heritage of the locality.
Usually Kova, as we recall, is kova stamps or kova dumplings. But there is a peculiarity to Mandasa Palakova. It has a tricky taste sharing the melody in the thick liquid.
Mandasa was once the seat of the Kalinga kings who stood at the forefront of the Eastern Ghats. Since then, it has been known for making foods with different flavors. Part of it is known as the herbal medicine Palakova.
It has a history of nearly 300 years. The Eastern Ghats are home to many medicinal plants and trees. All the towers in the area carry the grazing in the hills every day, and the milk they give the herbal milk also has medicinal properties. And hence, Mandasa Kova is so famous with its healing properties.
There are about 10 families in the village who have been practicing Kova making for generations. This Kova is made with milk and sugar just like regular Kova. However it is put ready for sale before it is pastured. Makers say that, the milk ingredients would be safe by eating the Kova before being pastured.
- Total Population: 76,402 in 17,814 Households
- Male Population: 37,368 and Female Population: 39,034
- Children Under 6-years of age: 10,823 (Boys - 5,456 and Girls - 5,367)
- Total Literates: 38,425
- "Mandal wise list of villages in Srikakulam district" (PDF). Chief Commissioner of Land Administration. National Informatics Centre. Archived from the original (PDF) on 8 December 2014. Retrieved 6 March 2016.
- Falling Rain Genomics.Mandasa
- Mandasa mandal at Our Village India.org