Gill at the 2018 San Diego Comic-Con
Mandip Kaur Gill|
5 January 1988
|Alma mater||University of Central Lancashire|
Mandip Kaur Gill (born 5 January 1988) is an English actress. Her first television role came in 2012 when she was cast as Phoebe McQueen in the Channel 4 soap opera Hollyoaks. After departing the serial in 2015, Gill went on have guest roles in Cuckoo, Doctors, The Good Karma Hospital and Casualty. In October 2017, the BBC announced that Gill had been cast as a companion named Yasmin Khan in the 2018 series of Doctor Who.
Gill appeared in several theatre productions, before she secured her first television role as Phoebe Jackson (later McQueen) in the Channel 4 soap opera Hollyoaks. Gill had attended a number of auditions for the soap in the past, and she was unsure if the character of Phoebe was right for her, but after a number of callbacks, Gill was given the role. Phoebe was introduced as a homeless teenager and a friend for established character George Smith (Steven Roberts). Gill chose to leave the show in 2015 and Phoebe was killed off as part of the long-running "Gloved Hand Killer" storyline. The following year, Gill had a guest role in the BBC sitcom series Cuckoo, before appearing in Doctors for a five episode arc. Gill played Shazia Amin, a pregnant homeless woman. In 2017, Gill appeared in The Good Karma Hospital, and an episode of Casualty. She also stars in Kay Mellor's BBC drama Love, Lies and Records as Talia, a junior registrar.
In October 2017, the BBC announced that Gill had been cast in the eleventh series of Doctor Who, as a companion to The Doctor, played by Jodie Whittaker, starting in 2018. Gill is joined by her former Hollyoaks co-star Tosin Cole, who plays another of The Doctor's companions.
|2012–2015||Hollyoaks||Phoebe McQueen||Regular role|
|2016||Cuckoo||Lauren||Episode: "The Holiday"|
|2016||Doctors||Shazia Amin||Recurring role|
|2017||The Good Karma Hospital||Padma Kholi||2 episodes|
|2017||Casualty||Nasreen Mahsud||Episode: "Swift Vengeance Waits"|
|2017||Love, Lies and Records||Talia|
|2018||Doctor Who||Yasmin Khan||Series 11, regular|
- McEwan, Cameron (2017-10-23). "Doctor Who series 11: Everything you need to know about new companion Mandip Gill". Retrieved 31 December 2017.
- "findmypast.co.uk". search.findmypast.co.uk. Retrieved 22 October 2017.
- "BA (Hons) Acting Graduates". University of Central Lancashire. Retrieved 6 August 2017.
- Amrit (2014). "Exclusive Interview with Hollyoak's Phoebe McQueen – Mandip Gill". Punjab2000.com. Retrieved 6 August 2017.
- Kilkelly, Daniel (11 January 2012). "'Hollyoaks' newcomer teases Phoebe role, squatting plot". Digital Spy. Retrieved 6 August 2017.
- Kilkelly, Daniel (9 May 2016). "Mandip Gill reveals all the gossip on her Doctors role and why she quit Hollyoaks". Digital Spy. Retrieved 6 August 2017.
- Kilkelly, Daniel (29 April 2016). "Hollyoaks star Mandip Gill lands gritty new guest role in Doctors". Digital Spy. Retrieved 6 August 2017.
- James, Alison (12–25 August 2017). "The Ex Factor". Soaplife (413): 45.
- Seale, Jack. "The Good Karma Hospital Series 1 – Episode 2". Radio Times. Retrieved 6 August 2017.
- "Swift Vengeance Waits". BBC. Retrieved 6 August 2017.
- "Doctor Who: Bradley Walsh, Tosin Cole, Mandip Gill and Sharon D Clarke join Jodie Whittaker as regular cast members". Radio Times. 22 October 2017. Retrieved 22 October 2017.