|Genres||Gothic rock, gothic metal, doom metal|
|Labels||Nuclear Blast / Lunatic Asylum Records / Massacre Records / IROND Records / Fuel Records|
Mandragora Scream is a gothic metal band from Italy.
In 2000, Lacroix was introduced to singer, guitarist and composer Terry Horn. The result of this artistic union was the debut album Fairy Tales from Hell's Caves, distributed in 2001 by German independent label Nuclear Blast/Capiranha records. A German critic delivered two positive reviews, calling the style melodic "gothic rock" in Sonic Seducer and "gothic metal" in Metal Hammer, respectively. According to the band, "Fairy Tales is definitely a concept album: a trip throughout the Dantean Hell, tormented by passion, anguish and insanity, where the character of Virgil is surprisingly replaced by an unusual bewitching vampire fairy."
In 2002, Mandragora Scream released their second album A Whisper of Dew, distributed by Nuclear Blast. Once again a concept album, centred on a vampire story purposely written for the band by Julio Angel Olivares Merino, horror-gothic literature writer and teacher of English Philosophy at the Spanish University of Jaén. Drawing inspiration from this tale, Lacroix composed the entire album lyrics.
Madhouse and recent works
“Madhouse” is the third full-length album, published in the year 2006, by Lunatic Asylum Records.
In January 2007 they published a new CD/DVD called Dragonfly, which includes 2 videos from the album Madhouse ("Dark Lantern", "Blight Thrills") and 2 remasterized tracks plus 1 new song (”Dark Lantern Remix”, “Spiritual Leadin”, “Lunatic Asylum”) and in march 2007 a single track called "Jeanne D'Arc" by Lunatic Asylum Records. But They released it DVD on April 2008 with the album Madhouse and the single track "Jeanne D'Arc" with a bonus video, a new acoustic song.
It has been recently announced from Mandragora Scream's management that their fourth full-length album, Volturna, will be released in November 2009.[dated info] It will have 15 tracks that include two covers: "Bang Bang" and "Fade to Grey". A European tour has also been announced that will include support acts from Christian Death and The 69 Eyes. The band have changed line up with Furyo on drums and Max River on bass.
- Promo Track 99 (Demo) (1999)
- Fairy Tales from Hell's Caves (2001)
- A Whisper of Dew (2003)
- Madhouse (2006)
- Volturna (2009)
- Luciferland (2012) - Released November 21, 2012
- Dragonfly (2008)
Collaborations and appearances
Mandragora Scream are also featured on various international compilations:
- Beauty in the Darkness Vol. 5 (2001)
- Mystic Art (2001)
- Nuclear Blast Vol. 6 (2001)
- Off Road Tracks Vol. 45 (Hammer 2003)
- Beautiful Voices (Nuclear Blast)
- Eck, Markus (2001). "Mandragora Scream – Fairy Tales from Hell's Caves". Sonic Seducer (in German). No. 7+8.
- Eck, Markus (2001). "Mandragora Scream – Fairy Tales from Hell's Caves". Metal Hammer (in German). No. 7.
- Mandragora - Band Biography
- Schäfer, Armin (2003). "Mandragora Scream – A Whisper of Dew". Metal Hammer (in German). No. 3.
- Official Mandragora Scream website
- Russian fan-site (in russian & english languages)
- Official Mandragora Scream's Page at Massacre Records website
- Official Mandragora Scream's page at MySpace website