Mandy Jones (politician)
|Member of the Welsh Assembly|
for North Wales Region
Assumed office |
27 December 2017
|Preceded by||Nathan Gill|
|Alma mater||Llysfasi College|
Mandy Jones is a Welsh politician who was seated as a UK Independence Party (UKIP) member of the National Assembly for Wales for the North Wales region on 27 December 2017, but who has sat as an independent within the Assembly since early January 2018.
Jones stood for UKIP in the Clwyd South constituency at the 2015 General Election. She also stood for UKIP in Clwyd South at the 2016 Welsh Assembly election, coming fourth behind Labour, the Conservatives and Plaid Cymru. As the third UKIP candidate on the North Wales regional list, she failed to secure a National Assembly for Wales seat.
Following the resignation in December 2017 of former UKIP Assembly Member (AM), Nathan Gill, Jones (as the next available UKIP candidate on the regional list) was confirmed on 27 December as the replacement AM. She was due to actively take up her duties following an oath swearing ceremony, which took place on 29 December at the Welsh Assembly's Colwyn Bay buildings.
On 9 January 2018, UKIP Wales announced that she would not be joining the UKIP group in the Assembly, due to employing members of other parties in her office. Jones refused to change her staff and described the UKIP group as "toxic". She describes herself as a Faragist and claims former UKIP leader Nigel Farage supports her actions. Her party membership was suspended on 18 June 2018 following criticism of Neil Hamilton's nomination as an assembly commissioner.
- "New North Wales UKIP AM following resignation of Nathan 'you're stuck with me' Gill". Deeside.com. 28 December 2017. Retrieved 28 December 2017.
- "Mandy Jones confirmed to replace Nathan Gill in the Welsh Assembly". South Wales Argus. 28 December 2017. Retrieved 28 December 2017.
- "Mandy Jones, UKIP candidate for Clwyd South". Daily Post. North Wales. 21 April 2015. Retrieved 28 December 2017.
- "Russell George and Ken Skates hold on to their seats in Welsh Assembly elections". Shropshire Star. 6 May 2016. Retrieved 28 December 2017.
- "New UKIP AM after Nathan Gill resignation". BBC News. 28 December 2017. Retrieved 28 December 2017.
- "UKIP's Mandy Jones sworn in as party's new North Wales AM". BBC News. 29 December 2017. Retrieved 29 December 2017.
- "UKIP Wales say New North Wales Regional AM 'will not be joining UKIP group' Deeside.com". www.deeside.com. Retrieved 2018-04-16.
- "New AM does not want to be in UKIP group". BBC News. 2018. Retrieved 2018-04-16.
- "UKIP suspends AM after Hamilton remarks". BBC News. 2018-06-18. Retrieved 2018-06-25.
|National Assembly for Wales|
| Assembly Member for North Wales
Dec 2017 – present