Manfred F.R. Kets de Vries
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Manfred F.R. Kets de Vries|
|Education||University of Amsterdam
Harvard Business School
Officier in de Orde van Oranje Nassau (Netherlands)
Manfred F.R. Kets de Vries (born in The Netherlands) is a distinguished clinical professor of leadership development and organizational change at INSEAD. He is the founder of INSEAD's Global Leadership Centre, program director of INSEAD's top management seminar, "The Challenge of Leadership: Creating Reflective Leaders" and the scientific director of the program "Consulting and Coaching for Change; Executive Master's Program". He is also the founder of the Kets de Vries Institute (KDVI Ltd.) a consulting firm that specialises in organisational development and transformation and works extensively with top teams and boards in world-leading organisations to improve leadership effectiveness. With ESMT European School of Management and Technology, Berlin, he is a distinguished visiting professor and director of their Center for Leadership Development Research. He is best known for bringing a different view to the much-studied subjects of leadership and the dynamics of individual and organizational change. Kets de Vries is also the founder of the Kets de Vries Institute, a partnership that counsels individual CEOs and top executive teams, using a clinical orientation to leadership coaching and organizational transformation.
Kets de Vries had held professorships at McGill University, the École des Hautes Études Commerciales, Montreal, and Harvard Business School, and has lectured at management institutions around the world. He is a founding member of the International Society for the Psychoanalytic Study of Organizations. In 2005, as the first non-American, he has received the International Leadership Award for "his contributions to the classroom and the board room". In 2008, he has also been given the Lifetime Achievement Award (the Leadership Legacy Project of the International Leadership Association), being viewed as one of the world’s six founding professionals in the development of leadership as a field and discipline. In 2009, he was rated amongst the Top 50 Thinkers in Management. In October 2011 Kets de Vries was awarded the Doctor Honoris Causa title from IEDC Bled School of Management for his "outstanding contribution to creation and integration of knowledge and leadership development for a better world". In October 2012 Kets de Vries received an Honorary Doctorate from the Russian Presidential Academy of National Economy and Public Administration (RANEPA) at IBS-Moscow.
Degrees and training
Kets de Vries holds a Dutch master's degree in Economics (Econ. Drs.; 1966) from the University of Amsterdam; an International Teachers Program certificate (1967), M.B.A. (1968), and D.B.A. (1970) from Harvard Business School, and received training from the Canadian Psychoanalytic Society (member in 1982). He is also a member of the International Psychoanalytic Association and a corresponding member of Paris Psychoanalytical Society.
The Queen of the Netherlands made him an Officer in the Order of Orange-Nassau. He was the first fly fisherman in Outer Mongolia and is a member of New York's Explorers Club.
He is the author, co-author, or editor of more than 40 books and has published over 360 scientific papers as chapters in books and as articles. His books and articles have been translated into thirty-one languages. The American Psychological Association awarded him the Harry and Miriam Levinson Award in 2001 for his contributions to the field of consultation. He is a founding member of the International Society for the Psychoanalytic Study of Organizations (ISPSO) of which he became, in 2009, a Lifetime Distinguished Member. In 2010 he was honoured by the Dutch Psychoanalytic Institute in the Netherlands where he was presented with the Freud Memorial Award, in acknowledgement of his exceptional work on the interface between psychoanalysis and organisations.
Kets de Vries' books include:
- Kets de Vries, Manfred F. R.; Miller, D. (1984). The Neurotic Organization: Diagnosing and Changing Counterproductive Styles of Management. Jossey-Bass. ISBN 0-87589-606-5.
- Kets de Vries, Manfred F. R. (2006). The Leadership Mystique: a user's manual for the human enterprise. FT Press. ISBN 0-273-65620-1.
- Kets de Vries, Manfred F. R. (2006). The Leader on the Couch: A Clinical Approach to Changing People and Organizations. John Wiley & Sons Ltd. ISBN 9985-9757-4-X.
- Kets de Vries, Manfred F. R.; Carlock, Randel S.; Florent-Treacy, Elizabeth (2007). Family Business on the Couch: A Psychological Perspective. John Wiley & Sons Ltd. p. 324. ISBN 978-0-470-51671-3.
- Kets de Vries, Manfred F. R. (2009). Sex, Money, Happiness and Death: The Quest for Authenticity. Palgrave. p. 264. ISBN 0-230-57792-X.
- Kets de Vries, Manfred F. R. (2009). Reflections on Character and Leadership. John Wiley & Sons Ltd. p. 366. ISBN 978-0-470-74242-6.
- Kets de Vries, Manfred F. R. (2009). Reflections on Leadership and Career Development. John Wiley & Sons Ltd. p. 264. ISBN 978-0-470-74246-4.
- Kets de Vries, Manfred F. R. (2011). Reflections on Groups and Organisations. Jossey-Bass. p. 360. ISBN 978-0-470-74247-1.
- Kets de Vries, Manfred F. R. (2011). The Hedgehog Effect: The Secrets of Building High Performance Teams. John Wiley & Sons Ltd. p. 316. ISBN 978-1-119-97336-2.
- Kets de Vries, Manfred F. R. (2014). Mindful Leadership Coaching: Journeys into the Interior. Palgrave Macmillan. ISBN 978-1-137-38232-0.
- Kets de Vries (INSEAD)
- Kets de Vries (ESMT)
- Kleiner, Art. "The Thought Leader Interview: Manfred F.R. Kets de Vries". Strategy+Business. Retrieved 23 September 2013.
- Coutu, Diane. "Putting Leaders on the Couch". Harvard Business Review. Retrieved 23 September 2013.
- "Distinguished Leadership Award". ILA. Retrieved 3 April 2015.
- "The Thinkers50 Ranking 2009". Thinkers 50. Retrieved 3 April 2015.
- "IEDC Honorary Professorship and Doctor Honoris Causa Recipients". IEDC. Retrieved 3 April 2015.
- "ISPSO Distinguished Member". ISPSO. Retrieved 3 April 2015.