||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2011)|
Manfred Gerstenfeld (Hebrew: מנפרד גרסטנפלד; born 1937 in Vienna) is an Austrian-born Israeli author and former Chairman of the Steering Committee of the Jerusalem Center for Public Affairs. He founded and directed the Center's Post-Holocaust and Anti-Semitism program.
Manfred Gerstenfeld was born in Vienna, grew up in Amsterdam where he obtained a master's degree in organic chemistry at Amsterdam University. He also studied economics at what is nowadays Erasmus university in Rotterdam. He has a high school teaching degree in Jewish studies from the Dutch Jewish seminary. In 1999 he obtained a Ph.D. in environmental studies at Amsterdam University. In 1964 he moved to Paris where he became Europe's first financial analyst specializing in the pharmaceutical industry. He moved to Israel in 1968. There he became the managing director of an economic consultancy firm partly owned by Israel's then-largest bank Bank leumi. He was an academic reserve officer in the Israeli Army (IDF). Gerstenfeld was a board member of the Israel Corporation and several other Israeli companies.
He was an editor of The Jewish Political Studies Review, co-publisher of the Jerusalem Letter/Viewpoints, Post-Holocaust and Anti-Semitism and Changing Jewish Communities and a member of the council of the Foundation for Research of Dutch Jewry, of which he was formerly the vice-chairman. He was chairman of the Board of the Jerusalem Center for Public Affairs, a Jerusalem based think tank, from 2000 until 2012. He is the 2012 recipient of the Lifetime Achievement Award of the Journal for the Study of Antisemitism.
- Revaluing Italy with Lorenzo Necci (Italian) (1992)
- Environment and Confusion: An Introduction to a Messy Subject (1993)
- The State as a Business: Do-It-Yourself Political Forecasting (Italian) (1994)
- Israel’s New Future Interviews (1994)
- Judaism, Environmentalism and the Environment (1998)
- The Environment in the Jewish Tradition: A Sustainable World (Hebrew) (2002)
- Europe’s Crumbling Myths: The Post-Holocaust Origins of Today’s Anti-Semitism (Foreword by Emil L. Fackenheim) (2003)
- The New Clothes of European Anti-Semitism (French)(2004), co-edited with Shmuel Trigano
- American Jewry's Challenge: Conversations Confronting the Twenty-first Century(Foreword by Jonathan Sarna) (2004)
- Israel and Europe: An Expanding Abyss? (2005)
- European-Israeli Relations: Between Confusion and Change? (2006)
- Israel at the Polls 2006 with Shmuel Sandler and Jonathan Rynhold (2008)
- Academics against Israel and the Jews. (Foreword by Natan Sharansky) (2007)
- Behind the Humanitarian Mask: The Nordic Countries, Israel, and the Jews (Foreword by Gert Weisskirchen)(2008)
- The Abuse of Holocaust Memory: Distortions and Responses (Foreword by Abrham H. Foxman) (2009)
- Anti-Semitism in Norway: Behind the Humanitarian Mask (Foreword by Finn Jarle Saele) (Norwegian) (2010)
- American Jewry's Comfort Level: Present and Future with Steven Bayme (Foreword by David A. Harris) (2010)
- Israel at the Polls 2009 with Shmuel Sandler and Hillel Frisch (2010)
- Het Verval. Joden in een stuurloos Nederland (The Decay. Jews in a Rudderless Netherlands) (Dutch) (2010)
- Judging the Netherlands:the Renewed Holocaust Restitution Process 1997-2000 (Foreword by Stuart E. EizenstatStuart E. Eizenstat) (2011)
- Demonizing Israel and the Jews. (Foreword by Rabbi Marvin Hier) (2013)
- Postwar Jewish Displacement and Rebirth (with: Françoise S. Ouzan) (2014)
- The war of a million cuts (foreword by Jose Maria Aznar) (2015)
- The Gaza War and the New Outburst of Anti-Semitism
- Symbolic and Other Roles of Jews in Dutch Society
- Ahmadinejad Calls for Israel's Elimination and Declares War on the West: A Case Study of Incitement to Genocide
- The Mahathir Affair: A Case Study In Mainstream Islamic Anti-Semitism
- Srebrenica: The Dutch Sabra and Shatilla
- The Mohammed-Cartoon Controversy, Israel, and the Jews: A Case Study
- European Politics: Double Standards Toward Israel
- The Twenty-first-century Total War Against Israel and the Jews Part One and Part Two
- Various articles on Jewish Environmental Perspectives.
- Continuing to Distort the Holocaust: 2009-2011*The Abuse of Holocaust Memory in 2011-2012.
- Anti-Semitism and Anti-Israelism in Western Schools
- Anti-Semitism and Anti-Israelism in Dutch Schools
- The Gaza Flotilla: Facts and Official Reactions
Book reviews by Manfred Gerstenfeld
- Joop den Uyl 1919-1987: Dromer en doordouwer (Joop den Uyl 1919-1987: Dreamer and Pusher) by Anet Bleich
- Never Again, Yet Again by Stephen D. Smith
- The Prime Ministers: An Intimate Narrative on Israeli Leadership, by Yehuda Avner
- Hugo Logtenberg and Marcel Wiegman, Job Cohen – Burgemeester van Nederland
- Fischer, Stefan; Grohmann, Marianne (2010). Weisheit und Schöpfung: Festschrift für James Alfred Loader zum 65. Geburtstag. Peter Lang. pp. 238–. ISBN 978-3-631-59570-1. Retrieved 26 September 2011.
- Jerusalem Center for Public Affairs
- Institute for Global Jewish Affairs at the JCPA
- Publications by Manfred Gerstenfeld on the Berman Jewish Policy Archive @ NYU Wagner