|Date of birth:||December 22, 1950|
|Place of birth:||Martinez, California|
|NFL Draft:||1974 / Round: 9 / Pick: 216|
|Career NFL statistics|
|Player stats at PFR|
Moore was a 9th round selection (216th overall) in the 1974 NFL Draft by the San Francisco 49ers. He played for the 49ers in 1974 and 1975, being named their special teams player of the year in both seasons. He then spent the 1976 NFL season with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, after being selected by them in the 1976 NFL expansion draft. Near the end of the 1976 season he was cut by the winless Buccaneers (0-13 at that point) and signed by the Oakland Raiders to replace their injured kick returner Rick Jennings.
Switch to rugby league
Following his Super Bowl appearance, Moore was recruited by Australian New South Wales Rugby Football League premiership team the Newtown Jets for the 1977 NSWRFL season, with the move being financed by John Singleton. He made his first grade debut just 98 days after the Super Bowl, playing on the wing against the Western Suburbs Magpies before 5,743 spectators at Henson Park. He impressed on debut, scoring the club's first try of the season. This made him the first, and to date only, person to score a first grade rugby league try in Australia and an NFL touchdown in the US. Moore lasted only four games in the NSWRFL; he was relegated to reserve grade and played in the second row before receiving a head injury in a match against Penrith which prompted him to return to the National Football League prematurely.
Return to the NFL
- "1974 NFL Player Draft". databasefootball.com. Archived from the original on 2008-03-27. Retrieved 2008-05-23.
- "The Super Bowl winner who rocked rugby league after walking the reverse path to Jarryd Hayne". foxsports.com.au. 25 August 2015. Retrieved 26 August 2015.
- Manfred Moore bucpower.com
- Mizell, Hubert. "Moore: from 0-13 to the Super Bowl". St. Petersburg Times. 29 Dec 1976
- Ian Heads and David Middleton. A Centenary of Rugby League (1908-2008). Sydney: Pan Macmillan. p. 606. ISBN 978-1-4050-3830-0.
- "When an American bled for Newtown". theage.com.au. 25 August 2007. Retrieved 26 August 2015.
- "Manfred Moore player page". databasefootball.com. Archived from the original on 2007-02-09. Retrieved 2008-05-23.