Mang Inasal

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Mang Inasal
Subsidiary
Industry Restaurants
Founded Iloilo City, Philippines (2003)
Founder Edgar J. Sia II
Headquarters Pasay, Metro Manila, Philippines
Number of locations
460 (March 2014)[1]
Key people
Ferdinand J. Sia (COO)
Tony Tan Caktiong (chairman)
Products Philippine cuisine
Fast food
Revenue P2.6 billion (2010)
Owner Jollibee Foods Corp. (100%)
Number of employees
8,000
Parent Jollibee Foods Corp.
Website Mang Inasal official website

Mang Inasal (Hiligaynon for "Mr. Barbecue") is a barbecue fast food restaurant chain in the Philippines established in Iloilo City in 2003.

History[edit]

Mang Inasal restaurant in Pulilan, Bulacan

The company was started by Edgar J. Sia II, a young enterprising architect, who owned his first business at the age of twenty. Sia engaged in the food business at twenty-six years of age, opening the first Mang Inasal branch in December 2003 at the Robinsons Mall Carpark in Iloilo City. The restaurant was an instant success, despite stiff competition from other, more established grilled-food restaurants.

The chain opened its first branches within the Visayan region, then expanded to neighboring Mindanao to the south before spreading to Metro Manila. Thereafter, the company started franchising in 2005. By 2008, Mang Inasal had opened 23 restaurants, with ten being franchised.[2]

In October 2010, 70 percent of Mang Inasal's stakes at the stock exchange were acquired by Jollibee Foods Corporation (JFC), for ₱3 billion ($68.8 million).[3] In April 2016, JFC (Jollibee Food Corporation) acquired the remaining 30 percent of Mang Inasal's stakes previously belonging to Injap Investment which is owned by Inasal's founder.[4]

As of March 2014, the chain has grown to about 460 stores.[1]

Products[edit]

Inasal na manok (grilled chicken), which is served with unlimited rice.

The chain serves Filipino cuisine, including grilled chicken, pork and milkfish, served with rice with selected stores offering unlimited number of rice servings free of charge. Non-grilled dishes in the chain's menu include sisig, pansit bihon (Filipino thin noodles), and dinuguan with puto. Desserts offered include Philippine snack foods like ginataang bilo-bilo (tapioca pearls), halo-halo, banana spring roll with ice cream, among others.[5]

See also[edit]

References[edit]

  1. ^ a b "About Us". Mang Inasal.com. Retrieved on 2014-03-28.
  2. ^ "Edgar Sia: The man behind Mang Inasal". The News Today. January 7, 2008. Retrieved 2009-02-15. 
  3. ^ Zinnia B. Dela Peña (October 19, 2010). "Jollibee acquires Mang Inasal for P3B". The Philippine Star. p. B-1. 
  4. ^ Montealegre, Krista Angela (22 April 2016). "Jollibee buys out Sia from Mang Inasal chain". BusinessWorld. Retrieved 22 April 2016. 
  5. ^ "Merienda". Mang Inasal.com. Retrieved on 2014-03-28.

External links[edit]