maNga in Oslo
|Labels||Poll Production, GRGDN, Sony Music Entertainment|
Özgür Can Öney
|Past members||Orçun Şekerusta|
Manga (also stylized as maNga) is a Turkish rock band whose music is mainly a fusion of Anatolian melodies with electronic elements. In 2009, they won both the Best Turkish Act award from MTV Turkey and consequently the Best European Act award from MTV Networks Europe in MTV Europe Music Awards 2009. They represented Turkey at the Eurovision Song Contest 2010 with the song "We Could Be the Same" and took second place.
This section needs to be updated.February 2015)(
Manga was formed in the year 2001, being named after the word for 'cool man', 'Manga'. Initially, they were mostly underground, playing covers of other rock and metal bands. The band made the music for Aşık Veysel's poem Kara Toprak, and later used a completely different poem by Göksel for the song which became known as Dursun Zaman (by the title of Göksel's poem "Dursun Zaman"). They came into the public spotlight after finishing runner-up at the Sing your song' music contest. This caught the attention of artist manager Hadi Elazzi (GRGDN), who immediately promoted the band to Sony Music, which resulted in their first, self-titled album being published in 2004, becoming a mass hit. Following this, they performed at various music festivals and have worked with such famous Turkish singers as Koray Candemir (of Kargo fame), Vega and Göksel. On 13 August 2006, maNga became the first Turkish rock band to take stage at the Sziget Festival, Budapest, Hungary. In 2006 they also had concerts in the Netherlands and Germany. Most of their songs are written by the group members. The genre of their music was described by Yağmur, the author of most of the songs, as having a touch on nu metal, hip hop and mixing these all in a "pot" with melodies of Anatolia. Manga's duet with Göksel is included in one of the most successful (with almost a million viewers) Turkish films, Sınav (featuring Jean-Claude Van Damme). Their song Bir kadın çizeceksin was featured among the music of the FIFA 06 game. The band is considered a headliner for several Turkish music festivals, including Saklıfest, Patlıcan, Rokofest and Rock'n Coke. The band was to take stage in the Wembley Stadium in London, together with Tarkan, but Manga did not perform due to technical difficulties on 13 April 2008. They also played in London's O2 Academy Islington on 4 December 2009. On 12 January 2010 the Turkish broadcaster TRT announced that maNga would be the Turkish representative at the Eurovision Song Contest 2010. They came second with 170 points, behind Germany.
- Ferman Akgül - vocals (2001–present), keyboards (2013-present)
- Yağmur Sarıgül - guitar (2001–present)
- Cem Bahtiyar - bass guitar (2001–present)
- Özgür Can Öney - drums (2001–present)
- Orçun Şekerusta - bass guitar (2001)
- Efe Yılmaz - DJ, electronics (2001-2013)
|Işıkları Söndürseler Bile||
|Title||Year||Peak chart positions||Album|
|"Dünyanın Sonuna Doğmuşum"||2009||1||—||—||335||—||Şehr-i Hüzün|
|"Beni Benimle Bırak"||1||—||—||—||—|
|"We Could Be the Same"||2010||1||29||56||—||129||E-akustik|
|"Fly to Stay Alive"||2||—||—||—||—|
|"Fazla Aşkı Olan Var Mı?"||2014||—||—||—||—||—||Işıkları Söndürseler Bile|
|"Işıkları Söndürseler Bile"||—||—||—||—||—|
|"Süper Güçlerimiz Var"||2019||—||—||—||—||—||Non-album single|
|"—" denotes a single that did not chart or was not released.|
|"Raptiye Rap Rap"||2005||Mutlaka Yavrum||Cem Karaca|
|"Dursun Zaman"||2006||Sınav Soundtrack||N/A|
|"Beni Unutma"||2011||İyilik&Güzellik Spor||Feridun Düzağaç|
|"Fly To Stay Alive"||Anadolu Kartalları Soundtrack||N/A|
|"Tek Yön Seçtiğin Tüm Yollar"|
Awards and nominations
|2005||POPSAV Ödülleri||Best rock band||Nominated|||
|2005||Hürriyet Altın Kelebek Ödülleri (Golden Butterfly Awards)||Best Newcomer Band||Nominated|||
|2006||MÜYAP Ödülleri||Gold Disc||maNga||Won|||
|2009||MTV Turkey||Best Turkish Act||Nominated|||
|2009||MTV Europe Music Awards||Best Turkish Act||Won|||
|Best European Act||Won|
|2010||Eurovision Song Contest||"We Could Be the Same"||2nd|
|2011||Balkan Music Awards||Best Duet/Group In The Balkans||Nominated|
|2012||Balkan Music Awards||Best Group In The Balkans||Nominated|
- "Rockers maNga unveil Eurovision song 'We Could Be the Same'". Today's Zaman. 5 March 2010. Archived from the original on 22 December 2015. Retrieved 13 December 2015. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- Eremenko, Alexey. "maNga – Artist Biography". AllMusic. All Media Network. Retrieved 11 December 2015.
- Eremenko, Alexey. "maNga – Sehr-i Hüzün". AllMusic. All Media Network. Retrieved 11 December 2015.
- MÜYAP: Gold receiving artists 2006
- Tolga AKYILDIZ: Iyi filmin iyi şarkıları (Goods songs for a good film) - Hürriyet Newspaper
- Michael Show: SINAV Orijinal Film Müzikleri ( SONY BMG – 2006)
- Sony Music Türkiye: Sinav Orijinal Soundtrack Archived 2007-02-04 at the Wayback Machine
- Saklifest Archived 2008-03-05 at the Wayback Machine
- Rokofest Archived 2008-01-17 at the Wayback Machine
- Tarkan - Manga, London
- "Eurovision'a 'maNga' gidiyor" (in Turkish). HaberTürk. 2010-01-07. Retrieved 2010-01-12.
- Billboard Turkish Rock Top 20 Chart Archived 2009-01-26 at the Wayback Machine
- "Discography maNga". swedishcharts.com.
- "Discographie maNga". hitparade.ch.
- "Russian Airplay Chart". tophit.ru.
- "CHART: CLUK Update 12.06.2010 (wk22)". zobbel.de.
- POPSAV ödülleri - Sabah
- Altin kelebek 2005 - Hürriyet
- Müzik Oscar'lari sahiplerini buldu - Hürriyet
- MTV Turkey news
- MTV Europe Music Awards: MaNga nominated for Best Turkish Act"
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to MaNga.|
- maNga official website (in Turkish) (in English)
|Awards and achievements|
| Best European Act in the MTV Europe Music Awards
with Düm Tek Tek
| Turkey in the Eurovision Song Contest
with Live It Up
| Best Group in the Balkans
[to be determined]