|Stable release||Manga Studio 5.0.5|
|Operating system||Mac OS X, Microsoft Windows|
|This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (November 2009)|
Manga Studio (known in Japan as ComicStudio or Clip Studio Paint) is a software application for Mac OS X and Microsoft Windows used for the digital creation of comics and manga. It has been developed since 2001 by the Japanese graphics software company Celsys. It was originally distributed in the Western market by E Frontier America; since 2007 it has been distributed by Smith Micro Software.
The program is offered in packages with varying features and prices. The current version is offered as "Manga Studio 5" (retail priced at US$79.99), and "Manga Studio 5 EX", which adds support for multi-page documents and other features (US$299.99). Earlier versions were packaged as "Debut" and "EX" varieties.
Although it has features in common with general-purpose graphics software such as Adobe Photoshop, Manga Studio's tool set is focused and optimized for use in creating comics and manga. It has tools for creating panel layouts, perspective rulers, sketching, inking, applying tones and textures, coloring, and creating word balloons and captions. It supports creation of bitmap and vector art, and importing 3D models. Early versions were designed for black and white art with only spot color (a typical format for Japanese manga), but version 4 (released in 2007) introduced support for creating full-color art, and version 5 included additional coloring tools. It supports input by a mouse or a graphics tablet.
Notable users of Manga Studio include comics artist Fiona Staples, who uses the program to create her work for the series Saga, for which she has won a number of awards. Dave Gibbons, the artist who co-created Watchmen, uses it for current digital work and has done promotional demonstrations of the software. Mike Krahulik uses it for the popular web comic Penny Arcade and related works.
- "Celsys company history".
- "Smith Micro Software press release".
- "Learn About the History of Manga Studio". Smith Micro Graphics. Retrieved 2012-08-19.
- Staples, Fiona (w), Staples, Fiona (a). "Fiona's Process" Saga 8: 24-25 (December 2012), Image Comics
- Hennon, Blake (20 July 2013). "Comic-Con: 'Building Stories,' 'Saga' top Eisners (winners list)". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 20 July 2013.
- "2013 Hugo Awards". Hugo Awards. 2013-04-30.
- Seifert, Mark. September 2013 "Saga Wins Big At 2013 Harvey Awards, Plus Complete List Of Winners".
- "Dave Gibbons to Host Manga Studio Webinar". 16 March 2010.
- Krahulik, Mike. "Surface 3 Update".