||This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (December 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Motto||Knowledge Is Light|
|Chancellor||Vajjubhai vala Governor of karnataka|
|Vice-Chancellor||Prof. K Byrappa|
|Location||Konaje, Karnataka, India
Mangalore University (MU) is a public university in Konaje, Mangalore, Karnataka, India. MU has jurisdiction over the districts of Dakshina Kannada, Udupi and Kodagu. The university imparts higher education in field of arts, commerce, science, law and management.
Mangalore University campus is located at Mangalagangothri 21 km from Mangalore on the southern side.
The previous undivided Dakshina Kannada (South canara) district was under jurisdiction of University of Mysore. In the early 1970s there was a growing demand for a local university. A post graduation centre of Mysore university was set up in the late 1970s at Mangaluru. To satisfy the demand for separate university Mangalore University was set up on September 10, 1980. The engineering and medicine disciplines were later transferred to Visvesvaraya Technological University and Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences of Karnataka respectively. In 1993, the Manipal associated colleges were transferred to Manipal University.
As of January 2008, the university had 25 post-graduate departments on the campus, two constituent colleges, four law, 13 education, five autonomous and 119 affiliated colleges/institutions.
It is the first university in the country to start Bachelor's degree programmes in Hotel Management & Tourism, Fashion Design, Apparel/Garment Design, Leather Design & Technology, and Human Resource Development and post-graduate programmes in Computer Software and Yogic Sciences.
- "The Hindu : Karnataka / Mangalore News : Mangalore University all set to celebrate jubilee". hindu.com. Retrieved 31 December 2011.
- "Hanumaiah is new Mangalore varsity V-C". The Times of India. 29 October 2001.
- "Thimme Gowda is acting VC". The Hindu. 30 October 2005.
- "K.M. Kaveriappa appointed Executive Director of Higher Education Council". The Hindu. 1 November 2010.
- "Prof T C Shivashankara Murthy Appointed Vice Chancellor of Mangalore University". daijiworld.com. Daijiworld News Network. 2 March 2010.
6.Prof K Byrappa is Mangalore University Vice Chancellor www.coastaldigest.com/index.php/news/65208-prof-kbyrappa...
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Mangalore University.|