|Founded||Palau-solità i Plegamans, Catalonia, Spain (1984 )|
Palau-solità i Plegamans,
|Revenue||€2.327 billion (2015)|
|€170 million (2015)|
Number of employees
Punto Fa, S.L., trading as Mango, is a Spanish clothing design and manufacturing company, founded in Barcelona, Spain by brothers Isak Andic and Nahman Andic. It designs, manufactures and markets women's and men's clothing and accessories.
Mango's website was created in 1995, and in 2000, opened its first online store. H. E. by Mango is a men's line created in 2008, and renamed Mango Man in 2014. Football player Zinedine Zidane helped advertise Mango Man.
Mango has over 16,000 employees, 1,850 of whom work at the Hangar Design Centre and at its headquarters in Palau Solità i Plegamans, Barcelona. Mango's biggest market is Spain but Istanbul, Turkey, has the largest number of Mango stores.
From Fall 2011, Kate Moss was Mango's muse. She first appeared in a video featuring Terry Richardson who shot the campaign and directed the commercial. Moss was replaced by Australian model Miranda Kerr.
In 2015 Mango had revenue of Euro 2.327 billion with earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation, and amortization of Euro 170 million.
In early 2021, Mango launched a Mediterranean-inspired store concept with higher sustainablity standards.
As of 5 March 2020[update]
Bangladesh building collapse
On 24 April 2013, the eight-story Rana Plaza commercial building collapsed in Savar, a sub-district near Dhaka, the capital of Bangladesh. At least 1,127 people died and over 2,438 were injured. The factory housed a number of separate garment factories employing around 5,000 people, several shops, and a bank and manufactured apparel for brands including the Benetton Group, Joe Fresh, The Children's Place, Primark, Monsoon, and DressBarn. Of the 29 brands identified as having sourced products from the Rana Plaza factories, only 9 attended meetings held in November 2013 to agree a proposal on compensation to the victims. Several companies refused to sign including Walmart, Carrefour, Bonmarché, Mango, Auchan and Kik. The agreement was signed by Primark, Loblaw, Bonmarche and El Corte Ingles.
Velvetine handbag lawsuit
In 2010, the French division of Mango was sued by Anne-Cécile Couétil, creator of the brand Velvetine, who argued that Mango copied two models of her handbags. Despite an attempt of protection via the INPI and similarities between her products and Mango's, the creator lost the lawsuit. She was ordered to pay €6,000 to Mango. On her blog, Couétil claimed she wanted to lodge an appeal. Several bloggers were surprised by the judicial decision saying it was unfair. The brand Mango reacted on Facebook via its official fan page and answered also on the creator's blog.
Violeta by Mango
Violeta by Mango is a brand that announced to launch Mango in 2014, based on a clothing collection that ranges from size 40 to 52. However, it created controversy by considering these sizes "special". Thus, Arantxa Calvera, a citizen from Barcelona, began a collection of signatures with the aim of withdrawing the campaign "due to the wrong message it sends about the thinness of women" as explained by Arantxa in La Opinion. In addition, she asks Mango to take into account the role it has in society to spread a healthy woman model. To respond to this controversy, Violeta Andic, responsible for this line, made the following statements to the newspaper Expansión “Violeta was not born as a large-size brand, but as a brand that makes a different pattern, aimed at women with curves. We wanted to adapt the seams and armholes to our type of woman, and Mango has opted for this line because we believe that it is a market need that is not covered.
- The world's 50 Richest Jews: 31-40: Isak Andic Jerusalem Post, 7 September 2010
- "The world's 50 Richest Jews: 31-40".
- Football Player Gerard Pique Being Model He by Mango Archived 15 July 2012 at archive.today, SoStyles.com, 25 February 2011
- He by Mango becomes Mango Man, Yahoo! News, 12 November 2014
- "Zinedine Zidane becomes Mango's latest ambassador". Yahoo News. Yahoo. Retrieved 20 August 2015.
- "2015 Annual Results".
- Shops Mango.com
- Tina Isaac. "Fresh Mango". First Style. Retrieved 1 June 2012.
- kstephens (21 November 2012). "Miranda Kerr Replaces Kate Moss As The Face Of Mango | Look". Look Magazine. Retrieved 3 June 2020.
- Letizia, de Mango para Mango Elpaís.com, 7 April 2011 (in Spanish)
- "2015 Annual Results Press Release".
- Wong, Veronica (13 May 2021). "Mango Opens Dedicated Teen Pop-Up Store". Retrieved 13 May 2021.
- "Mango launches new store concept with sustainably in mind". 18 February 2021.
- Ahmed, Saeed; Lakhani, Leone (14 June 2013), "Bangladesh building collapse: An end to recovery efforts, a promise of a new start", CNN, retrieved 16 December 2013
- Zain Al-Mahmood, Syed (24 April 2013). "Matalan supplier among manufacturers in Bangladesh building collapse". TheGuardian.com. Guardian News and Media. Retrieved 21 October 2013.
- 'Extreme Pricing' At What Cost? Retailer Joe Fresh Sends Reps To Bangladesh As Death Toll Rises Forbes, 30 April 2013
- Nelson, Dean (24 April 2013). "Bangladesh building collapse kills at least 82 in Dhaka". The Telegraph. Telegraph Media Group. Retrieved 24 April 2013.
- Alam, Julhas (24 April 2013). "At least 87 dead in Bangladesh building collapse". USA Today. Retrieved 24 April 2013.
- Ovi, Ibrahim Hossain (2013), Buyers' compensation for Rana Plaza victims far from reality, archived from the original on 25 March 2016, retrieved 16 December 2013
- Mango accused of copying Velvetine Archived 23 June 2011 at the Wayback Machine, Elise Hameau, 16 June 2011
- "Mango accusé de contrefaçon", Katrin Acou-Bouaziz, L'Express Styles, 15 June 2011. (in French)
- "L'affaire Mango vs Velvetine Archived 11 July 2012 at archive.today", CD, Elle Belgique, 17 June 2011 (in French)
- "Mango accusé de contrefaçon : (in)justice et mauvaise foi", Hélène Decommer, Le Plus (Nouvel Observateur), 17 June 2011 (in French)
- spontaneous message "Le concept de Justice, Velvetine vs Mango" 9 June 2011, on the weblog of the brand Velvetine (in French)
- Quand Les Grandes Marques Pillent Les Créateurs... Deedee, 14 June 2011 (in French)
- Mango vs Velvetine : retour sur un Bab Buzz MadmoiZelle.com, 17 June 2011 (in French)
- Press, Europa (9 December 2013). "Mango amplía su catálogo con el lanzamiento de la línea Violeta, moda joven de tallas grandes". www.europapress.es. Retrieved 17 August 2021.
- "Mango recibe este viernes las 55.000 firmas contra su línea Violeta por «el mensaje erróneo que envía sobre la delgadez"". abc (in Spanish). 16 January 2014. Retrieved 17 August 2021.
- expansion.com; expansion.com (12 February 2014). "Mango impulsa su marca "Violeta" con 100 tiendas". Expansion (in Spanish). Retrieved 17 August 2021.